- Duties and location
- Duration and termination of employment
- Hours of work
- Review of grading
- Other leave
- Sickness absence
- Performance and Development Review (PDR)
- Disciplinary and grievance
- Study leave and leave of absence
- Consultancy work
- Attraction and Retention Premia
Duties and location
Staff will be appointed to a particular College or Service within the University, but may be redeployed after due consultation to other duties within their competence elsewhere in the University, if such a reallocation is in the interests of the University.
The location of the appointment will be specified in the letter of appointment. The University reserves the right to relocate its employees to any of its campuses, or other locations where it provides a service, within reasonable travelling distance of this location, following appropriate consultation and notification.
Professional Services staff
The duties of each appointment are as specified by the College Dean/Head of Service and summarised in the job description. Duties may be varied from time to time to reflect the needs of the University and a revised job description issued.
The duties of each appointment are as specified by the College Dean/Head of Service and summarised in the appropriate role profile. Duties may be varied from time to time to reflect the needs of the University.
Research staff may be requested to do some teaching/demonstrating averaging not more than six hours per week during normal working hours (this time to include all preparation, teaching time, marking and contact with students). Teaching/demonstrating carried out within normal hours will not carry any additional remuneration and the agreed time will be allowed by the supervisor from research duties. However, where there is a requirement from the individual to work outside their normal hours to make up for the time spent on teaching/demonstrating, then they will be additionally remunerated at the appropriate standard teaching rate for these hours. The aforementioned is subject to any specific terms and conditions attached to awards from grant-awarding bodies.
Teaching and Research
Staff are required to perform such teaching, academic, and other duties relating to examinations and administration as may be reasonably assigned by the Dean and to engage in research leading to publication or performance in a recognised form appropriate to the discipline (as summarised in the appropriate role profile). Reasonable time will be allowed and facilities provided for such research.
- Subject to the sub-sections below, the University expects Professors and staff in the Teaching and Research job family to devote their exclusive service to the University.
- Members of staff are required to disclose other employment to their College Dean. Provided that there is no undue interference with the performance of normal duties of the member of staff, a member of staff may undertake literary work and occasional broadcasting without seeking permission. The University reserves the right to seek further information about such work where it has concern that there may be a conflict of interest or an impact upon the employee’s normal duties.
- Regulations regarding consultancy work are detailed in the Consultancy work section of the Terms and Conditions.
Teaching and Scholarship
Teaching Fellows are engaged to teach students (including preparation, assessment, delivery and keeping abreast of their discipline) and to undertake academic administration as may be assigned by the College Dean and summarised in the appropriate role profile. There is no expectation of research or allowance for research time.