Authorisation to recruit
Before any vacant, new or existing post can be advertised, approval must be obtained from the appropriate authority. For the majority of posts this is the College Dean/Head of Service and either the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Colleges) or Deputy Chief Executive and Registrar (Services). Professional Services positions grades A to C can be approved by the Head of Service with confirmation by the appropriate Accountant and HR Business Partner.
The University has an electronic approval system, the eSR1.
- Speak to your Finance/Research Team within your College/Service to check an SR1 is necessary. In some Colleges/Services the Finance/Research Team will complete the SR1 for you.
- Contact your Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) to discuss the detail of the proposal and to request that an SR1 be created on the system.
- For new support posts and for ones whose duties have been significantly amended, speak to your HRBP for the post to be graded in advance, using the HERA job evaluation questionnaire.
- Complete the e-SR1 form and submit it for approval - see our User Notes for detailed guidance.
- If the proposed appointment is not included in the College/Service budget plan or is a variation, a full explanation should be included within the SR1
Useful sites for completing the financial information section are available as follows:
Once submitted, your HRBP, will comment on any employment-related issues.
Externally funded posts: - where the appointment will be wholly financed through external funding, the form will proceed to the Research Accounting section which will approve the appointment.
University funded posts: - otherwise the form will be forwarded to your Finance Business Partner (Colleges) or Professional Services Accounting (Services) and final approval will be made by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Colleges) or the Deputy Chief Executive & Registrar (Services).
International Applicants: - if you are likely to attract international applicants who will require a Tier 2 certificate of sponsorship, your HR Advisor will be able to advise whether the post meets the Resident Labour Market Test.
Your HRBP will in the case of new and replacement appointments check that all the recruitment documentation is enclosed and will then forward the e-SR1 to the Recruitment team for action.