Information for EU/EEA staff: FAQs

Registration Card 

Registration cards are valid from the day they are issued. If you have been in the UK prior to the card being issued then keep evidence of this time too.

Permanent Residency

Under the regulations, applications must be decided within six months, however, there are unprecedented numbers applying and it is not clear how the Home Office will deal with them. If you have a valid national ID card it is better to send this rather than your passport.

If you are applying alone, you can apply for a permanent residence card online which allows for the return of your passport. For more details see Information for University employees from EU and EEA countries.

It depends. As you were out of the workplace for five years, this is longer than a maternity leave and so you would need to ascertain in what category you were exercising your treaty rights e.g. were you a job seeker or a self-sufficient person? If you were self-sufficient (i.e. your partner was in paid employment and you were looking after the children) then you would need to prove that you had comprehensive sickness cover during this time, if you were applying as a qualified person yourself. Or it would be easier to be included on the form as a dependent to your partner’s application if your partner was also an EEA national.

Firstly, you are signing this form stating that it is true to the best of your knowledge so you must put the date of your first entry to the UK. However, rather than adding all the evidence from the date you entered you can add a covering note to say that you are just applying for the last 6 years.

Once you have got confirmation of your permanent residency then you are free to come and go from the UK, but it is a confirmation of your settlement in the UK. If you leave the UK for more than 2 years then you can lose your right to permanent residency

If you send it by special delivery then you can track it. The Home Office will send your documents back special delivery.

Yes, you must complete the form and allow at least 10 working days; Make sure you do not request that the application is withdrawn.

You can download and print off your payslips from iTrent this goes back to April 2008. HR Services have a template letter that they can send to you. Please email and request an EEA Permanent residency employment letter.


  1. Can I include him on my application for confirmation of Permanent Residency?
  2. When will he be able to apply to become a British citizen? 
  3. Do I need to get his birth certificate for my son officially translated into English and certified by a solicitor to accompany the application for confirmation of Permanent Residency?


  1. You can include your children up to the age of 21 on your application for confirmation of Permanent Residency. There is a fee of £65 for each person included in the application.
  2. Once your child has confirmation of Permanent Residency, they may be able to register as a British citizen or you can include them in a family application for British Citizenship (provided each of you has lived in the UK and exercised your treaty rights for one year after acquiring Permanent Residency).
  3. This is not a requirement, but you may find it helpful to your application to get a certified


  1. Has she acquired Permanent Residency?
  2. How does she apply for confirmation of Permanent Residency?


Your child may have acquired Permanent Residency after they had been living with you in the UK for 5 years. She can apply for confirmation of Permanent Residency based on these earlier dates, provided you are able to supply all of the necessary supporting documents. She should apply using Form EEA(PR). (You will not be able to include her in your own application for confirmation of Permanent Residency since she is over 21 and no longer dependant on you.) She will need to give your details in Section 2 of the form as her “Sponsor” since, for part of the “qualifying period”, she had a right of residence as your “family member”.


The form states: “Use this application form if you wish to apply for a document certifying permanent residence (if you’re an EEA national) or permanent residence card (if you’re a non-EEA national)…” What is the difference? What is ‘’Biometric Residence Card’’? The form states that EEA nationals do not need to send Biometric information as this is only a requirement for nonEEA nationals.


Unfortunately Form EEA(PR) has not been updated to reflect the fact that the only confirmation of Permanent Residency which UK Visas and Immigration now issue is a Biometric Residence Card. Your Biometric Residence Card is both your “document certifying permanent residence” and your “permanent residence card”. This means that it will be necessary for you to obtain a Biometric Residence Card. A Biometric Residence Permit is a credit card sized identification card setting out:

  • your name, date and place of birth
  • your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your biometric information)
  • your immigration status and any conditions of your stay
  • whether you can access public funds, e.g. benefits and health services

The guidance states that examples of evidence of employment could include an employer’s letter, wage slips, bank statements showing receipt of wages and P60s. So in this case bank statements could be submitted. These are examples, and therefore the list isn’t exhaustive, so provide whatever you can, plus a covering letter to explain the situation of the previous employer. Include as much detail about the company as you can as it will allow a caseworker to corroborate any evidence you can provide.

British Citizenship

Yes, if you have confirmation of your permanent residence from the Home Office. Since November 2015 you must have proof of your permanent residence in the form of a permanent residence card before you can apply for British citizenship.

The UK permits a British citizen to have more than one nationality but some countries do not permit dual nationality. You will need to check with your own country whether it will permit you to have more than one nationality.

Some EEA nationals born in the UK to parents with EEA or Swiss nationality will be British citizens automatically but changes in the law mean that different rules apply depending on when the child was born. More information can be found at Children born in the UK to EU/EEA citizens

The child of EEA nationals who was born in the UK but did not become a British citizen at birth may be able to register as a British citizen when his/her parents become settled in the UK (ie acquire permanent residency) or become British citizens.