About your pay
The University Temporary Staff Bank (TSB) has been established to provide temporary clerical and secretarial services to Colleges and Professional Services at short notice to cover such instances as sickness, holidays, special projects, vacancies and unpredictable and irregular patterns of work etc. It is expected that assignments will not exceed 6 months and that workers will not be engaged on consecutive assignments which exceed six months. As stated in the terms and conditions, the University of Exeter is not obliged to provide work and there may be periods when no suitable work is available or where suitable work is available but the University of Exeter does not offer it to the Temporary Worker. Consequently, the Temporary worker should expect gaps between assignments.
The Temporary Staff Bank's remuneration is on an hourly basis. Typical hourly rates are as follows:
- Basic clerical/keyboard skills, envelope stuffing, photocopying etc is £8.67 per hour
- General work ie clerical experience and keyboard skills, data input and a good working knowledge of software packages etc is £9.34 per hour
- Transcribing (with own equipment) is £10.37 per hour
- Secretarial/PA - £11.62 per hour
These rates are subject to Cost of Living increases.
Full time hours are 36.5 per week, but weekly and daily hours may vary according to specific assignments.
Claims must be submitted by the payroll deadline.
Annual holiday pay
Depending on the number of hours worked per year, you are entitled to a maximum of 28 days' paid annual leave (these can include Bank Holidays). Your holiday rate is included within the hourly rate.
Holiday taken must be by arrangement with the College/Service that you are working in (obviously it would need to be an assignment of reasonable length)
Please note the University holiday year runs from January to December and it is essential that you fit in your holiday periods during this time. Holiday pay cannot be carried over from one year to the next.
For more information, please see the Temporary Staff Bank terms and conditions pages.
Using the Payroll New Starter Form for Temporary Staff Bank (HR001)
The new starter form for setting up a Casual Worker/ Temporary Staff Bank Worker onto the University’s Payroll system (Trent) has changed over from paper based forms to electronic. The new form uses a PDF format which can be completed on a PC and submitted via email. Any boxes outlined in red are mandatory and must be filled in before sending the form. Note that you do not need to sign the forms now that you are submitting them via email. When you have recorded all the relevant information, especially the mandatory boxes, then click the SUBMIT button (either at the end of the form or at the top of page 1). You will get a pop up window from Outlook pre-filled to firstname.lastname@example.org, simply click send. Please note that this email address is for the use of these forms only and will not generate a reply for general correspondence. You may wish to save the completed PDF for your own records.
Once submitted you will need to exit the PDF, as this will remain on your computer screen.
Please state ‘Temporary Staff Bank’ and ‘email@example.com’ when asked for your Line Manager’s details.
- Please use a Windows PC wherever possible as some people have experienced difficulties when using a Mac or iPad.
- Please ensure Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is up to date, and set Windows to allow pop-ups.
- If you do not currently have Adobe Reader you can download this here: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/
- If you are still unable to use the electronic form, then it may be printed and completed manually, then scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note that we can no longer accept paper copies in the post.
- If you do experience further problems completing this form, please contact TSB/Casual Claim on 01392 724512 or 01392 722229.