About your pay
The University Temporary Staff Bank (TSB) has been established to provide temporary clerical and secretarial services to Colleges and Professional Services at short notice to cover such instances as sickness, holidays, special projects, vacancies and unpredictable and irregular patterns of work etc. It is expected that assignments will not exceed 6 months and that workers will not be engaged on consecutive assignments which exceed six months. As stated in the terms and conditions, the University of Exeter is not obliged to provide work and there may be periods when no suitable work is available or where suitable work is available but the University of Exeter does not offer it to the Temporary Worker. Consequently, the Temporary worker should expect gaps between assignments.
The Temporary Staff Bank's remuneration is on an hourly basis. Typical hourly rates are as follows:
- Clerical work i.e. envelope stuffing, photocopying etc is £7.11 per hour
- Basic clerical/keyboard skills - £7.48 per hour
- General work i.e. clerical experience and keyboard skills, data input etc is £8.06 per hour
- Secretarial work i.e. secretarial and clerical experience, excellent keyboard skills and a good working knowledge of software packages (the Microsoft Suite) is £8.96 per hour
- Secretarial/PA - £10.04 per hour
These rates are subject to Cost of Living increases.
Occasionally, it will be possible for the Bank to negotiate higher rates for specific 'higher level' jobs. Full-time hours are 36.5 per week, but weekly and daily hours may vary according to specific assignments.
Claims must be submitted by the payroll deadline.
Annual holiday pay
Depending on the number of hours worked per year, you are entitled to a maximum of 28 days' paid annual leave (these can include Bank Holidays). If you want to check how much holiday time/pay you have accumulated or if you require holiday pay, please contact Sue Turner, Temporary Staff Bank Manager.
During the period(s) you are working, you will be accumulating holiday at the rate of 1 hour for every 8.3 hours worked up to a maximum of 4 weeks. The Temporary Staff Bank will be keeping a record of your holiday accumulation.
Holiday hours must not be written on your time sheet; either leave blank or write “holiday” across the relevant day(s). See our Example timesheet for further details. Please let us know beforehand your holiday dates and we will arrange payment.
Accumulated Holiday Pay may be taken:
- by arrangement with the College/Service that you are working in (obviously it would need to be an assignment of reasonable length)
- between assignments or
- at the end of your time with us. It is very important that you tell us your leaving date etc so that we can pay you any outstanding holiday accumulation.
Please note the University holiday year runs from January to December and it is essential that you fit in your holiday periods during this time. Holiday pay cannot be carried over from one year to the next.
For more information, please see the Temporary Staff Bank terms and conditions pages.