The annual Equality and Diversity Action Plan details the key priorities on the University's equality and diversity agenda per academic year.
Equality objectives and action plans
Objectives 2014 - 2018
In response to the Equality Act 2010 and the introduction of the Public Sector Equality Duty, the University has agreed a number of Equality Objectives to support us in meeting the general public sector equality duty which requires the University to have due regard to the need to:
1. Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
2. Advance equality of opportunity between people from different groups. This involves considering the need to:-
- Remove or minimise disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics
- Meet the needs of people with protected characteristics
- Encourage people with protected characteristics to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is low
3. Foster good relations between people from different groups. This involves tackling prejudice and promoting understanding between people from different groups.
The following Equality Objectives have been identified for 2014 – 18:
- Develop and publish an annual E&D Action Plan to enable monitoring of progress and ensure continuous improvement.
- Participation in, and gaining of, external accreditations which demonstrate advancing equality of opportunity; elimination of discrimination and fostering of good relations between people from different groups.
- Create a working and learning environment that respects the dignity and rights of all staff and students through the provision of appropriate policies and support mechanisms and promotion of these to all members of the University community.
- Ensure all staff complete mandatory equality and diversity training.
The achievement of these Equality Objectives is supported by the annual Equality & Diversity Action Plan 2015-16.