LGBTQ+ Staff Network
Welcome to the LGBTQ+ staff network webpage.
We're here because we believe it's important to help create an inclusive environment for all sexual orientations and gender identities within the University.
We also believe that whilst many people may be comfortable with their own sexual orientation and gender identities and that of others, this may be not be the case for everyone and so we want to offer a visible and accessible source of support.
LGBTQ stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer/Questioning. The '+' covers all other types of sexual identities such as intersex, pansexual, asexual.
You can find a more detailed list of terms relating to sexual orientation and gender identity here.
The network is open to all staff of all sexual orientations and gender identities. We particularly welcome those who do not identify as LGBTQ+ but would like to show their support for the LGBTQ+ community by being an ally.
Postgraduate students are very welcome to join the network. There is also a student LGBTQ+ society and we will work together to support our common aim of making the University an inclusive environment.
We will run and promote a number of events. Most of these will be open to all but also some which may be specifically for those that identify as LGBTQ+ or as allies.
The network is organised by a group of volunteer co-ordinators and through them we will also:
- provide advice and input into the University's inclusivity agenda, training, policies and guidelines
- be represented at the University's Inclusivity Group
- review survey results that tell us about how we are performing as a LGBT-inclusive workplace, such as the Employee Engagement Survey and Stonewall's Workplace Equality Index
- work with other LGBTQ+ groups outside the University.
If you have any ideas for events or would like to become network co-ordinator, please do get in touch.
LGBTQ+ Staff: please contact LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk and we will add you to our mailing list.
Allies: We are running a separate mailing list for allies so if you would like to be kept informed on LGBT inclusivity matters and events then please contact LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk to be added to our allies mailing list.
Both mailing lists are closed lists which means that only members can send and receive emails to the group. The lists are only visible to our mailing list co-ordinator.
We believe it is really important to have accessible LGBTQ+ contacts and so if you would like to get in touch with someone from the network, the details of our volunteer contacts are:
Or you can write in confidence to LGBTQPlusStaff@exeter.ac.uk.
Upcoming events and meetings
- LGBT fostering and adoption week from Monday 6th March
- Transgender Day of Visibility Friday 31st March
- University Inclusivity Group Meeting Tuesday May 16th 2017
- Coffee social : the first Thursday of every month La Touche at 10.30, starting April 6th 2017
- Pride on campus, Streatham Thursday May 11th 2017
- Exeter Pride, Saturday May 13th 2017
- Exmouth Pride Saturday 1st July 2017
- Bristol Pride Saturday 8th July 2017
- Weston Super Mare Pride Saturday 29th July
- Plymouth Pride Saturday 12th August
Follow us on Twitter @