The courses and programmes listed on this page are aimed at developing the skills to work in and be part of a team and more specific training around professional subjects relevant to job roles at the University. The delivery of the courses ranges from face to face sessions and webinars to learning pathways on systems such as LearnSmart. If there is a subject you can't find, try using the course search, or get in touch.
A suite of courses aimed at developing the skills to work in and be part of a team, whether that be a small team or the wider University
A suite of courses covering key business themes, processes and skills all useful for today’s workplace.
- Data Protection and Freedom Of Information Acts
- GDPR Training Video
- Investigating Officer
- Introduction to Project Management (online resource)
- Student Visa Overview
- IIB Essentials Series – This series distils the essential information that researchers need to know about how to work effectively with non-academic partners, and what support they can draw upon.
The approach and ethos towards the working environment has changed, we are likely to find ourselves transitioning to new ways of working together. For many teams this may mean a hybrid arrangement, where some work activites will take place on campus and some will be undertaken remotely.
Moving forwards we needs to ensure that decisions about working arrangements are proactive, deliberate and collaborative - balancing the needs of the individual team, students and the University. There may also be the need for continued change and evolution in our working practices. Whatever the future holds, hybrid working is likely to feature for many teams.
Development and training opportunities for colleagues and managers
Further guidance, development opportunities and training for both colleagues and managers in relation to hybrid working can be found in the sections below:
Information for Colleagues
- Hybrid Working- a short, written, overview and introduction to the subject
- Hybrid Working: A Dictionary of Behavioural Biases
- Virtual Collaboration Guided self-learning and resources
- Virtual Meetings Various articles providing guidance about virtual meetings
Information for Managers
- Leading and Managing Hybrid Teams
- Top Tips for Leading Remote Teams - short, written, introduction to the key points
- Line Manager Guide on Supporting Hybrid Working Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD)
- Hybrid Work Must Be Fair: 8 Ways to Address the Equity Challenge Forbes Article
- Work Smarter to Live Better CIPD
Health and Safety remains an important topic whether working at the University or from home. A majority of the courses listed require face-to-face interaction; however, advice and guidance can still be given by the Health and Safety team wherever required. If you have queries about any area of Health and Safety training please contact the Health & Safety team.
Please also refer to the Homeworking DSE page which provides updated Health and Safety information.
- Bodily Fluids and Sharps
- Biological COSHH for Laboratory Users
- COSHH for Laboratory Users
- COSHH for Laboratory Users (Refresher)
- Environmental Sustainability in the Workplace (online)
- Emergency Response and Business Continuity
- Event Management
- Fieldwork Practical Workshop
- Laboratory Spillages
- Ladder Training
- Risk Assessment
- Manual Handling Risk Assessment for Managers
- Pollution Prevention and Emergency Response
- Using Laboratory Gases Safely
- Using Liquid Nitrogen Safely
Fire Safety courses
- Fire Marshal and Evacuation Officer
- Person in Charge (Fire Safety) (PiC) and Deputy Person in Charge (Fire Safety) (PiC)
If you or your team would like training in any of the topics below please contact the person concerned and they will arrange to deliver the training for you.
|Evac Chair Training (Fire Safety)||Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange training|
|Bespoke Fire Safety Training|
|Carriage of Dangerous Goods||Contact Health and Safety team to arrange training
|Laser Safety Awareness|
|Chemical Deliveries Training|
|Principles of Ionising Radiation Protection|
|Hydrofluoric Acid Awareness Training|
|Radiation Protection Supervisor Training|
|Radiation Protection Supervisor Refresher Training|
First Aid Training
Requests from staff to become First Aiders and attend the ‘First Aid at Work’ training course should be made directly to email@example.com (monitored by the Health & Safety Team), and have the approval of their line manager.
Technical, Administration and Finance
Find out about our key administrative systems, learn about University finances, procuring goods and services and make the best use out of the IT and AV resources at your disposal.
University of Exeter IT - Advice, Guidance and Support
The Digital Hub
The University of Exeter IT Department’s Digital Hub is loaded with help, guidance and advice. It is your place to go, to help you master and adapt to new and existing tools, working with the available technology in the best way possible. The hub is updated with new guides and content every week.
Here are some of the things you can do:
Get some time talking directly to an expert
Book dedicated 1-2-1 support wherever you are with 10 minute surgery sessions for those times when you just need to know something specific. Or Super User sessions for 45 minutes that provide more detailed overviews and cover topics that you agree in advance. Book here.
Digital Upskill Experiences
The Digital team have put together a series of sessions called Digital Upskill Experiences which aim to help everyone understand more about all things digital! These skills can be applied to almost any task or team, so they’ve put together some handy bitesize training sessions open to the entire University community. Just some of the subjects covered include; agile working, user insights, the difference between a product and a project, design thinking, intro to Mural, meeting facilitation skills and more. Visit the Digital Upskill Experiences to see what is happening in the digital world.
Learn something new in the time it takes to drink a coffee.
The Digital Transformation team, along with other experts, will be developing and hosting a series of Espresso sessions. These will be available to view initially online, through the Digital Hub and eventually as live drop-in sessions at the Digital Hub in the Forum on campus.
Have a look at the Espresso training sessions menu to see what is on offer.
Exeter IT has resources available on their Office 365 Help and Support site, including training and new features for SharePoint, Microsoft Teams and other Office 365 apps.
- SharePoint and Office 365 help, advice and guidance (includes information about setting up a SharePoint site)
- Further advice, guidance and support for all areas of Office 365
Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative
The University of Exeter-Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative (sharepoint.com) (ESI) provides hands-on training for learning and enhancing technical skills and knowledge of Microsoft and Azure technologies. It offers interactive courses, role-based training curriculums, and Microsoft Certifications in a platform that is accessible by participating organizations.
Microsoft is partnering with University of Exeter to offer University members free access to these ESI programs: University of Exeter-Microsoft Enterprise Skills Initiative (sharepoint.com)
Join the discussion – Yammer Groups
There are a number of Yammer groups available to keep up-to-date with Office 365 and to ask any questions, links to all the Yammer groups can be found below:-
- Office 365 Yammer group
- SharePoint Yammer group
- Power Automate and PowerApps Yammer group
- Teams Yammer group
Microsoft Teams Support
Specific support to help you navigate Teams has been created at the following links:
- Webpages – links to guides, FAQ and other communication.
- Videos – Exeter IT have produced some video guides on some of the most useful functionality.
- How to Guides – some useful step-by-step guides.
Microsoft Office Training
Microsoft offer some great online training solutions that are free to use via their Training Centre. Follow the links below to some of the key applications:
- Office 365 training resources including Outlook, OneDrive, Yammer, Visio and more
- Word 2013
- Excel 2013
- Power Point 2013
The IT Helpdesk is the single point of contact for University of Exeter staff, across all campuses, to request IT support. Staff have the ability to report an IT problem or request an IT service via this link: IT Helpdesk - and have it assigned directly to the specialist IT team responsible for their request.
Training and Support from the Technology Enhanced Learning team (TEL)
Our team support the use of digital teaching and learning technologies across the University. We take a pedagogically driven approach and want to ensure that each piece of technology used supports the intended learning outcomes for your teaching.
The TEL team offer a range of different training sessions on a regular basis. These include introductory sessions on ELE and other technologies, and a session that covers ELE exam set ups (ELE Timed Quiz Exams or Mid-Term Exams). These sessions are perfect for new starters and anyone who wishes to refresh their knowledge.
Please visit our TEL Events and Workshops page to browse upcoming sessions and register for any you wish to attend.
Book time with TEL:
Through our Book Time with TEL service, you can book a 15 or 30 minute Teams appointment with a member of the TEL team at a time that suits you.
Within each Faculty, there are a team of Graduate Digital Learning Developers (DLDs) ready to help with any digital learning queries you may have. You can view a list of DLDs for your Faculty on our About Us page.
TEL SharePoint Site:
For further information about what we do and how to access support, in addition to a wide range of support guides, please visit the TEL SharePoint site.
Finance Training and Helpdesk
Follow the links below to access information about training and development options relating to finance, the T1 system, budgets, ordering goods, paying people and more. The page also provides a Helpdesk function if you cannot find the answer to your query.
- Finance Training and Helpdesk
- VAT Training Materials and Guidance
- Generic online finance courses: coordinated by the British Universities Finance Directors Group these free courses include subjects such as Understanding University Finance, Introductions to: HE Finance, Research Finance, sustainable procurement, VAT in HE, TRAC and more.
Finance, Procurement, Governance and Compliance on-demand training
If you, or your team, would like any of the training below please contact the person indicated directly. They will then arrange the training with you on an ad hoc basis.