Endowed Public Lectures
Harte Lectureship in Local History
The Lectureship was founded by the University College of the South West in 1951 to commemorate Professor W J Harte's fifty years' association with the study and teaching of history in Exeter. A capital sum was subscribed as the result of a public appeal, the annual income from which is available to meet the expenses of lecturers.
The purpose of the lectureship is to promote interest in the study of local history by means of public lectures dealing with either some aspect of the history of the South West of England, or some general problem connected with the technique or principles of the study of local history.
The lecturer is appointed by the Senate of the University on the nomination of the Head of the School of Historical, Political and Sociological Studies.
The Lectureship was instituted in 1957, and was made possible by a gift made to the University by Mrs D G Harland of Sidmouth.
The income from this gift is used to assist research in Astronomy or some associated subject of study, more especially by meeting the cost of lectures by eminent astronomers and scientists in appropriate subjects every two years.
The Lecturer is appointed by Senate. The Lecture is held every three years.
Bishop John Prideaux Lectures
The Lectures were instituted, under the Will of the late Canon S P T Prideaux, on the death of his widow in 1959, to `honour the memory of Bishop John Prideaux of Worcester, a Devon man who from humble origin rose to great heights in the service of learning, his University and the Church'.
A course of lectures is arranged, at least every other year, in the University, on the Bible, Christian Doctrine, Christian Ethics, Church History, Liturgy or any allied subject. Their purpose is to encourage study and research among the Devon clergy and ministers, and to give the University the opportunity of inviting scholars from elsewhere to lecture on a wider range of theological subjects than is covered by its normal curriculum.
The Trustees (the Bishop of Exeter, the Dean of Exeter, the Vice-Chancellor of the University and the Head of the School of Classics, Ancient History, and Theology decide the subject, number, date and place of the lectures (to which the general public may be admitted), and appoint the lecturer, if possible giving preference to members of the Church of England and clergy and ministers of the County of Devon. The lecturer may be re-appointed at the discretion of the Trustees and they also have discretion to apply up to one half of the income of the Trust to publication of the lectures and/or the purchase of theological books for the University Library.
W B Curry Lectures
The W B Curry Lectures Fund, which was instituted in 1966, was collected by colleagues and former pupils of W B Curry, sometime headmaster of Dartington Hall School and an acknowledged authority on progressive education, who died in 1962. The Fund is held in trust by the University, and its income is used to promote a course of public lectures called the W B Curry Lectures on New Ideas in Education. They are given biennially in the University by lecturers who have achieved distinction in some aspect of education. The lecturers are appointed by the Senate of the University on the recommendation of the Head of the School of Education in the University, after consultation with the Trustees of Dartington Hall.
Jackson Knight Lectures
The Jackson Knight Memorial Lecture Trust Fund, which was instituted in 1967, was collected by colleagues and pupils of W F Jackson Knight (1895-1964), who was Lecturer - and later Reader - in Classical Literature in Exeter University from 1936 until his retirement in 1961. A distinguished classical scholar, he won international reputation with his many books and articles on Virgil, as well as on other aspects of ancient literature. The fund is held in trust by the University, and its income is used to promote a biennial lecture in the University. It is intended that the lecturers will include both classical scholars and other persons with classical education who have distinguished themselves in other spheres. Preference is given in selecting subjects for the lectures, to Latin and Greek Literature, its influence on modern literature, classical anthropology, and ancient thought in all its aspects. The lecturers are appointed by the Senate of the University on the recommendation of the Head of the School of Classics and Theology in the University.
Conn Memorial Lectureship
The Lectureship was instituted in 1976 as a result of an appeal for funds to establish a lecture in the field of Physical Sciences in memory of the late Professor G K T Conn, Professor and Head of the School of Physics from 1956 to 1975. The lecturers are appointed by Senate. The Lecture is held every three years.
The Hugh Greenwood Lecture
The Hugh Greenwood Lecture was instituted in 1980 through an endowment by Mr Hugh Greenwood, Founder and Chairman of the Children's Research Fund. This annual lecture is devoted to a subject associated with child health or the prevention of child disease or in the advancement of knowledge in the well-being of children.
The Jacqueline Fox Memorial Lecture
The Lectureship was instituted in 1985 as a result of an appeal for funds to establish a lecture in memory of the late Jacqueline Fox, Part-Time Assistant in French 1948-54, Part-Time Lecturer 1954-66, Assistant Lecturer 1966-67, Lecturer 1967-84. It is intended that the fund will be used to finance each year two of the following three activities: a memorial lecture by a visiting speaker, a subsidy towards a dramatic production and/or a travel grant to promote the study of the modern French Theatre.
The Kemp Lecture
The Lectures were instituted under the Will of the late Miss C L Kemp, Lecturer in Education and Warden of Lopes Hall, 1936-47. Lectures are given annually or every two years on some aspect of Cornish history, literature or general culture. The fund is to be administered by the Council of the Institute of Cornish Studies.
The Dominik Lasok Lectures
This series of annual public lectures on aspects of European Law was instituted by the Centre for European Legal Studies in 1977. The title of the Dominik Lasok Lectures was conferred in 1987 to honour the first Director of the Centre and the first Professor of European Law at the University, Professor Dominik Lasok. The purpose of the lectures is to invite a well-known figure prominent in the affairs of the European Community or other aspects of European Law to deliver a paper on a subject which appears to be of current and significant interest to a wide public audience.
The Robin Shepherd Lecture
The Lectureship, endowed by Terence Copley of the School of Education, is instituted in memory of Robin Shepherd, a figure nationally known in Religious Education through his work for the Christian Education Movement and as RE Advisor for Bedford and later Devon. Latterly. Robin Shepherd was part-time project officer for the Worship in Secondary Schools Project at the School of Education.
The Lecture is to be held biennially at the School of Education when a national figure in RE will speak. It is intended to help in the provision of in-service education for RE teachers, to enable students to meet a national research figure and to encourage the development of RE research both in Exeter and nationally.