Health and Safety standard

Driving at Work standard (pdf)

Driving for work standard

Date of Approval July 2016 Expiry Date July 2019
Author and Lead

Robert Pitchford, Transport Manager
Rhian Loosemore, Health and Safety Advisor

Aims The University is committed to ensuring the health, safety and welfare of all staff, students and visitors. This standard sets out the process to appoint an employee as an ‘Authorised Driver’ and the safety rules to ensure that ‘Authorised Driver’s’ carry out driving tasks safely.

This standard also includes the duty placed on the University to reduce the environmental impact in relation to driving and vehicle management.
Scope This standard applies to all drivers that drive all types of vehicles for University business, who must follow the requirements of this standard to become an ‘Authorised Driver’.

Listed below are the types of vehicles typically used by University staff for University business:

  • Business use of private vehicles (cars and motorcycles)
  • University van up to 3.5 tonne
  • University mini-bus 9-16 seats
  • Hire car
  • Hire van up to 3.5 tonne
  • Hire mini-bus 9-16 seats
  • University car scheme (i.e. University approved car  lease provider)
  • University grounds machinery
  • University vehicle (i.e. other vehicles owned or leased and managed by the University)
NB: Point 12 of this standard contains hyperlinks to detailed information for each category of vehicle noted above to support the requirements of this standard.

Definitions Employee: includes staff and students that drive a vehicle for University work purposes
Authorised Driver: any employee who, following submission of the ‘Authorised Driver’ Registration Form has been approved by their manager / supervisor to drive a vehicle for work purposes
Line Manager/Supervisor: Academic or Professional Services staff that has line management responsibility for an ‘Authorised Driver’
Relevant Legislation Health and Safety at Work Act 1974
Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999
Driving at Work: Managing work related road safety 2014( INDG 382)
Road Vehicle (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986
Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007
Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1988
Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1988
Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009
Road Traffic Act 1988
Highway Code
Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/1808)
Responsibility for implementation Authorised Driver
Line Manager / Supervisor
Insurance Office
Transport Manager
Finance Office
Training availability:

Advice from the University’s Transport Manager is available

Standard to meetAccountabilityReference documents and more information
1. Gaining authorisation to drive any vehicle
Before driving a University vehicle, or drive a private vehicle for University business, a member of staff must be authorised to do so.

Employees will only be authorised to drive vehicles in the categories stated on their licence.

To become a University ‘Authorised Driver’, employees must complete the ‘Authorised Drivers Registration Form’, obtain a driving licence summary sheet (using the Gov.UK website) and give a copy of each to their line manager / supervisor along with their photo card licence.

A copy will be taken of the registration form and licence and will be kept by the ‘Authorised Drivers’ line manager / supervisor and the College / Service Finance and Administration Support Teams (where necessary).

Managers / supervisors of ‘Authorised Drivers’ are responsible for maintaining the appropriate records/copies of documentation.

‘Authorised Drivers’ are responsible for informing their line manager / supervisor of any changes to their licences or other documentation and their capability to drive e.g. medical condition.
NB: Records may be inspected (within seven days’ notice) by members of the Safety Team, Insurance Office, Transport Office or the University’s internal auditors.
Authorised Driver / Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager

Driving licence information




Driving licence categories


Change to driving licence categories (pre 2013)


Driving licence codes


Driver capability assurances
On receipt of a request to drive for work,  managers / supervisors will review the completed  ‘Authorised Drivers’ Registration form with their employee(s) in order to seek assurances from the employee of their ability and capability to drive for work in the UK and abroad (if applicable).

Once managers / supervisors are satisfied that the employee(s) has confirmed that they have the correct licence etc. and their ability and capability to drive, the completed forms will be documented in the employee’s personal file and copies sent to the College / Service Finance and Administration Support Teams (where necessary).

NB: Campus Services employees will also need to send copies of the ‘Authorised Drivers’ Registration form to the Transport Manager.

For employees that drive University owned/leased vehicles, managers / supervisors may be required to arrange specific driver training e.g. minibus drivers and those that tow trailers to ensure that each driver has the required competency to safely carry out the driving task.

Managers/ supervisors are authorised to make decisions on their employees suitability to drive for University activities (including use of own personal vehicle for work purposes).

NB: If in doubt, managers / supervisors should contact the Transport Manager for advice.

Authorised Driver /  Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager / Finance Team

Transport Manager


General rules for an ‘Authorised Driver’
All ‘Authorised Drivers’ will be made aware of the University requirements to drive for work and will commit to the rules imposed on them by their manager / supervisor as part of the authorisation process.

The ‘Authorised Driver’ must provide a written declaration that their vehicle is suitable for the intended purpose (‘Authorised Driver’ registration form).

In the interest of vehicle security all ‘Authorised Drivers’ will take reasonable steps to ensure the safety/security of vehicles and its contents while in their charge.

All ‘Authorised Drivers’ when driving on University business will be expected to drive according to the road conditions and environment and not exceed the speed limits imposed on them whether in the UK or abroad.

When driving in excess of 4 hours in any day the GB Domestic Driving Rules will apply and both ‘Authorised Drivers’ and managers / supervisors are required to factor these constraints when planning the working day e.g. number of actual driving hours and incorporating sufficient rest breaks.  

When loading and unloading vehicles ‘Authorised Drivers’ and other employees accompanying them must take reasonable steps to do so safely.

All ‘Authorised Drivers’ will adhere to the University’s Smoking Standard which prohibits smoking in any University managed vehicle or vehicle hired for business purposes. These restrictions also apply to private vehicles used for University business when there is more than one person being carried in the vehicle.

When in control of a vehicle ‘Authorised Drivers’ are required to turn vehicle engines off when stationary (not in traffic).

 Authorised Driver

Authorised driver registration form DRF001 


Vehicle Security


UK Speed Limits


Speed Limits Abroad


GB Domestic Driving Rules


Safe Loading and Unloading of Vehicles


Manual Handling Training


UoE smoking standard

4. ‘Authorised Driver’s responsibilities
Under the Road Traffic Act (1991), it is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that any vehicle they are driving is roadworthy. To implement the ‘Act’, the University requires drivers to carry out a ‘walk around’ check prior to driving any University vehicle using the vehicle inspection checklist and report vehicle faults found to their line manager / supervisor.

Drivers should always ensure they are familiar with all of the vehicle controls such as lights, indicators, etc. before driving any vehicle.

Drivers must also familiarise themselves and comply with all of the requirements of the Highway Code.

 Authorised Driver


Car vehicle inspection checklist


Light goods vehicle inspection checklist


Minibus vehicle inspection checklist


Highway Code



5. Safe journey
‘Authorised Drivers’ and their managers / supervisors must  ensure that for all journeys made for work purposes i.e. standard journeys (e.g. to Penryn, other local properties etc.) and assessed to ensure that, so far as is reasonably practicable, risks are reduced to the lowest level possible.

Where risks are identified, managers / supervisors will be required to implement risk reduction controls such as:

  • shared driving
  • ensuring a passenger is on board to support the journey
  • additional driver training
  • ensure regular stops are made during the journey
  • consider overnight accommodation

Authorised Driver / Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager  
6. Driving outside the UK
All ‘Authorised Drivers’ driving for work outside the UK e.g. fieldtrip/work must ensure that they are familiar with and adhere to the country’s driving rules and regulations.  This may include specific requirements such as lights, safety equipment, driving hours and rest breaks etc.

In the interest of best practice, in relation to driving hours and rest breaks, where there are no equivalent rules for non-UK countries the GB Domestic Rules should be applied.

Refer to the driving abroad link for more information.

Managers / supervisors are responsible for ensuring that ‘Authorised Drivers’ who are required to drive outside the UK have the appropriate licences/permits, licences and equipment to meet the requirements of the country’s driving rules and regulations.

Authorised Driver /  Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager  Driving abroad

Fitness to drive
A person’s ability to drive safely may be affected by medical conditions whether temporary such as colds, flu, migraine, hay fever, etc.  or as  a result of a  range of  long term and short term medical conditions that could  affect an individual’s ability to drive safely (these will include diabetes, heart conditions, stroke, epilepsy).  If an ‘Authorised Driver’ is suffering from, or is diagnosed with, any medical condition, the ‘Authorised Driver’ must ask their doctor whether this condition might affect their ability to drive safely.

The ‘Authorised Driver’ is responsible for checking if the DVLA needs to be informed (this notification being the responsibility of the driver, not the doctor).

If a state of health changes, it is imperative that the ‘Authorised Driver’ informs their line manager / supervisor.

In the event that an employee is not fit to drive, the employee has a duty to report this to their manager / supervisor.

Once notified, line managers / supervisors must not allow an employee to drive for work.

Line managers / supervisors are responsible for making reasonable adjustments for employees that are not fit to drive (short or long-term adjustments depending on circumstances) e.g. changes to their role etc.

NB: Managers / supervisors should liaise with Occupational Health for further advice on reasonable adjustments or fitness to work.

Where employees are employed as drivers (such as, mini bus drivers, couriers, chauffeurs) the University will pay for an eyesight test under the requirements of the University Health Surveillance Standard – the cost of the eyesight test is funded from the Safety, Health and Wellbeing budget.

NB: Eyesight tests require approval of line managers.

‘Authorised Drivers’ who are not directly employed to drive, though driving is part of their role, are encouraged to have their eyesight checked regularly (at least every two years).  These ‘Authorised Drivers’ will be responsible for paying for the eyesight test.

 Authorised Driver /  Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager

INS57P - information on driving licences




Fitness to drive information (ROSPA)

PD42 Drivers eye test form



8. Incidents and accidents
All vehicle accidents, however minor must be reported to the Transport manager and Insurance office using the University incident reporting form.

By law any driver involved in a collision must always stop. Failure to stop after an incident or failure to report an incident could lead to a fine, penalty points or even disqualification.

The emergency services should be called if anyone is injured or there is serious damage to vehicles or property.

All University fleet vehicles will carry an accident pack containing instructions on what to do in the event of an accident/incident - details can be found in the Drivers Handbook.

NB: ‘Authorised Drivers’ must always ensure that accidents packs are checked regularly and replenished after use.

 Authorised Driver /  Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager

 HSI01 Incident reporting form V2


Insurance Office


Transport Manager


UoE Motor claim notification form


Drivers Handbook 2015 V1


Drivers handbook – cars


Drivers handbook – minibuses

9. Vehicle insurance
All ‘Authorised Driver’s using their own vehicle on University business will ensure that they have appropriate “business use” cover on their personal vehicle insurance policy.

NB: University business includes driving between campuses.

The University maintains comprehensive cover for its fleet vehicles.

Fleet vehicle insurance details must be inserted into the Drivers Handbook in each vehicle.

In the event of an accident, details of the University’s insurer (or own insurer) should be provided to the other parties involved and if requested, the Police.

NB: If in doubt, managers / supervisors can contact the Insurance Office for advice.
Authorised Driver / Insurance Office

Car insurance classes of use explained


Insurance Office

10. Expenses (Mileage Claims)
Prior to an employee using their own or leased vehicle (including motorbike) for University business purposes, they must have completed an ‘Authorised Driver’ Registration form and provided a copy of their current and valid motor insurance policy to their line manager / supervisor and College / Service Finance and Administration Support Teams (where necessary). This vehicle insurance policy must include “business use” (see vehicle insurance - point 9 above for details)

To claim mileage for use of a vehicle for work purposes the vehicle must be registered on the University’s on-line expenses system. A Safe Use of Private Vehicle for Business Use (SUPVUB1Rev1) form must have been completed and submitted to the line manager / supervisor and College / Service Finance Team.

NB: Mileage will not be reimbursed unless the College / Service holds proof that your insurance cover included “business use” at the time the journey was taken.

 Authorised driver

UoE expense and Purchasing Card Policy


Car insurance classes of use explained


MOT explained


UoE safe use of private vehicle for business form


11. Vehicle inspection, maintenance, servicing, MOT & Vehicle Excise Duty
The Transport Manager will hold a central record of all University owned vehicles and will inform College / Service managers when maintenance, servicing, MOT’s and Vehicle Excise Duty are due for renewal.

College / Service managers that are responsible for University vehicles must inform the Transport Manager that their College / Service owns a vehicle(s) using the University vehicle register, to ensure that the vehicles are inspected, maintained, serviced, have a valid MOT (where required) and Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) is current.

The Transport Manager will also support College / Service managers responsible for University vehicles in ensuring that the additional specific codes of practice according to vehicle type are conducted – see point 12 below for full details.

Transport Manager /  College/Service Managers University Vehicles Registration form DRF002
12. Specific codes of practice according to vehicle type
Dependant on the type of vehicle the ‘Authorised Driver’ has been approved to drive, the manager /supervisor and employee should review the codes of practice and implement the requirements:

Authorised Driver /  Line Manager / Supervisor / Transport Manager  
Standard monitoring and measurement criteria

 Annually the Standard Lead will review key aspects of compliance as below. A compliance and performance report will be submitted to the UoE H&S Committee annually. Where necessary a corrective action plan will be put into place where performance in the annual policy monitoring indicates improvements are needed.
Specifically the following will be measured:

1. Safety Team will request evidence that:

a)    Employees that drive vehicles on University business have completed an ‘Authorised Drivers’ form
b)    Employees that drive their own personal vehicles for University business have got ‘business use’ vehicle insurance

2. Transport Manager will provide evidence that:

a)    Colleges / Services have registered their vehicles with the Transport Manager using the ‘University vehicle registration’ form
b)    College / Service owned vehicles are regularly inspected, maintained and serviced
c)    College / Service owned vehicles have a valid MOT (where required)
d)    College / Service owned vehicles have paid their Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax)