Car parking frequently asked questions

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if your query is not answered here or you need further advice.

Call us on 01392 725678 or email

Car share

All employees or partner organisations that are eligible to apply for a Standard Parking Permit are entitled to apply for a Car Share Permit. Please note all members of the Car Share BUDI Team must be eligible to obtain a car share permit.

To obtain a Car Share Permit you must complete the following steps

A Car Share Permit will enable you to take advantage of:

  • A free Car Parking Permit on the Streatham and St Luke’s campuses when car sharing
  • Car Share only parking spaces (denoted by blue 2+ markings in the parking bay)
  • The Emergency Ride Home Scheme which will fund/part-fund a ride home should your ride home fail due to an unforeseen problem

More information is available by visiting the Car Sharing pages. Car Share Permits and Car Share Spaces should not be used on occasions when there is only one person in the vehicle.

Car sharing offers employees with no alternative to car travel the opportunity to travel in a more sustainable way, whilst allowing the University to reduce demand for car parking across the campuses. To encourage the uptake of car sharing, the University is improving the incentives we offer, including removing the charge to obtain a Car Share Permit.

A full list of Car Share only 2+ parking locations on Streatham and St Luke’s campuses can be found on the Car Sharing pages on the Sustainability website.

As a result of high demand for car parking across the Exeter campuses, the Car Share only spaces are available to non-Car Sharers after 09:30, if they have not already been utilised by a Car Share team. This prevents the spaces remaining empty throughout the day, and maximises capacity and flexibility for car parking across the campuses.

Information relating to the University’s Car Share Scheme is available on the Car Sharing web pages, including a full list of FAQs.

Permit allocation scheme

After taking careful account of the outcomes of the consultation, and recognising the impact of these changes on existing staff and their travel to work arrangements, the University has decided that staff who already have a Car Parking Permit should be allowed to retain this. We will, however, continue to encourage staff who drive to work from within the EX1, EX2 and EX4 postcode areas to consider alternative transport arrangements. New staff will be made aware of the Permit Allocation Scheme through the recruitment process and will be able to make informed decisions about where they choose to live and how they travel to work before they commence their new employment with the University.

Employees who reside in postcodes EX1, EX2 and EX4 whilst attending the University are deemed to live within a reasonable distance to commute by either the active modes (walking and cycling) or by public transport. The University actively encourages travel by these modes via a range of incentives. Full details are available on the Sustainable Travel website.

New applicants wishing to apply for a Parking Permit should scan copies of the following documents whilst completing the online application or completing the non-university application form as applicable:

  • Address - proof of address eg, utility bill, tenancy agreement, bank statement etc. (within the last 3 months)  
  • Caring responsibility – birth certificate of dependent child or written statement regarding responsibilities for dependent relative
  • Public transport availability – bus/train service(s) number
  • Unsocial hours - signed declaration of working pattern by line manager

Yes. If you live in postcodes EX1, EX2 and EX4 and you think that a decision to turn down your application for a permit under one of the three criteria (caring responsibilities, poor access to public transport, working unsocial hours) was incorrect, then you can appeal. You should submit your appeal in writing, giving full and specific details of the reasons for the appeal, to the Car Parking Office within 10 days of the decision being notified to you. An appeal against a decision not to issue a Parking Permit will be considered by the Car Parking Appeal Panel which will aim to consider your appeal within a month of its submission.

For those who are not eligible for a standard or an Authority to Park Permit, there are various sustainable alternative modes by which you can travel to work:

The University invests £155,000 every year in funding a range of sustainable alternatives to car travel.

Salary exchange

The University’s Sustainable Travel Plan (2010-2015) sets out a series of initiatives aimed at promoting greener travel choices. A key action contained within the Travel Plan is to raise the cost of car parking in line with the true economic cost of car parking provision. Salary exchange enables part of the increased cost to be offset by savings in tax and National Insurance. By agreeing to obtain a Permit, staff also agree that their gross salary will be reduced by the appropriate amount, enabling employees to save tax and national insurance.

The administrators of the NHS Pension Scheme have not agreed that an employee’s national gross salary can be used to calculate pension benefits and therefore, employees in the NHS Pension Scheme would be disadvantaged by exchanging salary for car parking. You are however, still able to pay for your permit by monthly salary deductions, and will only be charged the net cost.

On your last day of employment you will automatically be removed from the scheme. Payments will cease once your Permit and opt-out form‌ has been returned to the Car Parking Office, Streatham Farm. Non-University staff will be reimbursed for any fully unused months via the payment method originally used.

If you will be paid University Maternity Pay (UMP) or University Adoption Pay (UAP) during your maternity leave, no action is required. The deductions from your pay for car parking will be suspended in the month you begin maternity leave and will recommence in the month you return to work. If on your return to work you no longer require a parking permit, it is your responsibility to notify the Car Parking Office, who will notify Pay and Benefits to amend deductions as appropriate.

If you are receiving Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) or Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP) during your maternity/adoption leave, we advise you to withdraw from any salary sacrifice arrangements 23 weeks before your baby is due/ expected placement date. This is because the higher rate of SMP/SAP is calculated on salary on which National Insurance is payable. Therefore, your SMP/SAP for the first six weeks will be reduced if you are partaking in salary exchange. You will need to opt-out form of the scheme under the notification of pregnancy/adoption leave lifestyle change, and will thereafter be transferred to monthly deductions at the net rate. No deductions will be made while you are on the standard rate of SMP/SAP or nil pay.

Due to technical issues arising from the HMRC rules relating to the lower earnings threshold for National Insurance contributions, staff earning lower than £6,500 may be disadvantaged by salary exchange arrangements. You are however, still able to pay for your permit by monthly salary deductions and will only be charged the net cost per annum.

Under HMRC rules, you are not able to start and stop a salary sacrifice arrangement except for a ‘life changing event’. Deductions will therefore take place over the full 12 months. Should you stop or surrender your standard or authority to park permit you will be treated as a new applicant should you subsequently apply for a permit at a later date.

Employees are able to obtain a Parking Permit for one car through salary exchange. The Permit will be issued for a single vehicle and the registration number will be printed on the Permit. It will be non-transferable to other vehicles.

To obtain a Permit for another vehicle, employees will need to apply for an additional Authority to Park Permit and will be required to pay the reduced daily Pay and Display rate of £1 per day when this vehicle is on the campuses. Authority to Park Permits are not transferrable to another person.

Please note that regardless of which Permit you use you are only permitted to have one vehicle on campus at a time.

If you do not pay National Insurance Contributions because you are over state retirement age, you will be able to obtain a Staff Parking Permit at the net rate.

Visitor parking

To check where pay and display parking is available, view the campus maps.

Please note the following changes to visitor parking from 28 April 2014:

  • The cost of pay and display parking will increase to:Up to 2 hours: £2.00
  • Up to 4 hours: £4.00
  • Over 4 hours: £6.00

Visitors may only park in the following car parks:

  • Car Park C
  • 15 visitor spaces in Car Park A
  • Duryard
  • St Luke's pay and display car park

Visitors who have been provided with a Visitors Hanging Permit may park in most designated car parking bays with the exception of the Innovation Centre, Health Centre and Sports Hall.

Internal employees are able to purchase a visitor hanging permit for £6 per day by contacting the Car Parking Office.  A cost code or purchase order will be required for this purpose.

We are unable to offer parking for all those visiting on Open Days but have made alternative arrangements. For more information, please contact the Student Recruitment Office to discuss the alternative options.

The following table summarises the current (April 2014) rates of pay and display at major car parks within Exeter:

Car Parkup to 2 hoursup to 4 hoursOver 4 hours
Devon County Council - University £1.30 £2.50 £3.60
University of Exeter £2.00 £4.00 £6.00
RD&E £2.00 £4.00 £8.00
Exeter Summerland Gate £2.20 £5.70 £10.80
NCP Princesshay £2.60 £6.50 £11.80
Exeter St David's £3.90   £9.90
Exeter Market Street £4.20 £7.10 £10.10

Permit pricing

There has been no increase in the cost of parking on the Exeter campuses for five years. To ensure fairness to all, from 1 October 2014, the charge to obtain a Standard Permit will rise annually in line with increases in public transport fares.

The annual rise in the cost to obtain a Parking Permit will be based on an average of the annual rise in bus and rail fares. Data on public transport fare rises will be obtained from the Bus Fare Index and Rail Fare Index, published annually by the Department for Transport and Office of Rail Regulation. 

From 1 October 2014, Parking Permits will still be based on emissions but part-time staff will be entitled to a reduced rate based on employee’s full-time equivalent (FTE). Via this method, an employee working 0.5 FTE would pay 50% of the full-time permit price per annum.


‌If you are permanently changing your car please return your old permit to the Car Parking Office, Northcote House, with a covering note and apply on line to amend your details. A new permit will then be issued free of charge.

If your car is in for repair or service please contact the Car Parking Office on 01392 725678 who will provide you with the necessary advice.



University Staff

Please complete the opt-out form and return together with your parking permit to the Car Parking Office. Upon receipt we will inform Payroll to stop salary deductions.  Please note payments will be rounded up to the end of the month.

Non University Staff

Please complete and return the refund application‌ together with your parking permit‌ to the Car Parking Office so we may arrange your refund.

Blue Badge holders are entitled to apply for a Parking Permit free of charge. Please apply using the online car parking application form.

Due to planning restrictions placed on the University by the Local Authority, opportunities to expand our car parking facilities are limited. However, with growth in staff and student numbers expected in the coming years, modest increases will be applied as appropriate. 

Depending on how many days you work each week, it may be more cost effective to apply for an Authority to Park Permit. This Permit will enable you to park on campus for the reduced daily Pay and Display rate of £1 per day. The Authority to Park Permit is free of charge.

University of Exeter staff currently based at the RD&E Hospital at Heavitree and Wonford are not able to apply for a University Parking Permit. This ensures we are able to maximise parking provision at the St Luke’s campus which is nearing capacity. For more information on travel to the RD&E Hospital see the RD&E website.

In recognition of the challenges associated with parking on the Exeter campuses, Estate Patrol adopts a sympathetic approach to parking enforcement.   Anyone who contravenes car parking regulations will be issued with two penalty charge notices at £0, as a caution, before a third penalty charge notice is issued with a £60 fine.

The purchase of a Parking Permit does not guarantee a parking space.

The regulations apply to the hours between 08:00 and 18:00 on Monday to Friday.  Parking in accessible parking bays will only be permitted when displaying a Disabled Badge.  Parking on yellow lines, in hatched boxes, cycle paths or on grassed areas is not permitted at anytime.

Yes.  A Standard Permit issued at Exeter is valid at Exeter and Penryn campuses.

There are a few areas where additional rules apply:

  • Visitors Car Park – students and staff may not park here as it is restricted to visitors only.
  • Sports Hall Car Park - This is for the use of Sports Hall visitors only and there is a two hour limit.  Standard and Authority to Park Permits holders must obtain a free pay and display ticket to show their arrival time but Authority to Park permit holders must also purchase a reduced staff pay and display ticket.  People without permits must purchase a pay and display ticket.
  • Innovation Centre – A valid Innovation Centre car park sticker must also be displayed together with the University permit.
  • Reed Hall Car Park – This car park is reserved for Reed Hall clients only and is not available for general use.
  • Reed Mews Car Park – This is reserved for the Health Centre staff and Doctors under the terms of a lease of the premises and is not available to general permit holders.