Health and Safety training
We are committed to ensuring that all staff receive the Health and Safety training they need, when they need it. To enable this, the Health and Safety team provide training sessions which are bookable via Trent.
Our training brochures explain the different courses that are available across our campuses:
If you would like to find out more or if a course you think you need isn’t listed please contact the safety team via email@example.com
- All new staff are required to complete ‘Introduction to Health and Safety’ as soon as possible after their start date. This session is available online or staff can book to attend a training course via Trent. Note, if you have been in post for a year or more and have not yet completed the Introduction to Health and Safety please complete the Health and Safety Refresher training online.
- All new staff should receive a local induction which includes elements of health and safety, as required in their role. Please see the local induction checklist.
- All staff who have worked at the University for 3 years or more are required to attend a Health and Safety refreshersession. This will be repeated every 3 years to ensure they are kept up to date with all University Health and Safety arrangements. This can be accessed in two ways;
Please note: if you have just joined the University and have completed induction, you do not need this refresher training until you have been here for 3 years.
Several of the mandatory training courses are available to complete online. For more information on how to enrol and complete a course please see our online courses information.
Role specific health and safety training
Some staff will need additional safety training in order to carry out their role safely (e.g. radiation protection, working at heights, laser safety, and bottled gas safety. This training should be identified on induction and thereafter in the annual PDR.
Nominated safety roles
Some staff may choose to volunteer to act in nominated safety roles such as qualified first aider, COSHH assessor or Fire Marshall. These staff will receive central training and update training as required. Specific requirements for training in these roles as set on in the relevant safety standard (e.g. first aid, fire, COSHH)
Health and safety training for managers/senior leaders
- Managers can choose to attend ILM level 3 approved course “Health, Safety and Environmental Management”.
- Managers can request a 1:1 with a member of the Health and Safety Department as part of their induction / professional development.
Booking of all Health & Safety courses (except the 3 day ‘First Aider’ at Work training course*) is via the Learning and Development website.
Requests from staff to become First Aiders and attend the ‘First Aider at Work’ training course must be made directly to the Health & Safety team and have the approval of your line manager.