The Committee considers campus-wide health & safety matters
Health & Safety Committee
The University Health & Safety Committee meets once per academic term, three times per academic year. It has both consultative and executive functions.
All members of the University, staff and students, may have a health & safety matter of University-wide relevance, raised by a Committee member. A membership list is given below.
A matter specific to Colleges and Professional Services should be raised and dealt with locally.
Terms of Reference
- To act in a statutory capacity concerning all matters requiring consideration for health, safety and welfare.
- To act as a consultative committee for nominated health and safety representatives from recognised trade unions.
- To make policy decisions in the light of legislation and to advise and give guidance in this connection to Colleges and Professional Services.
- To act as a forum to discuss occupational health and safety issues which have a University-wide relevance.
- To recommend expenditure on risk control measures against the Safety Budget or to Council.
- To ensure that the duty of care owed by the University and its staff to students, contractors and visitors, is communicated and comprehensively applied.
- To promote the University’s co-operative relationship with other organisations, such as the Guild of Students, the University of Plymouth (with respect to Peninsula College of Medicine and Dentistry) and the University College of Falmouth (with respect to the University of Exeter in Cornwall)
- To prepare an annual report to submit to Council.
Chair (Prof. David Wright)
Lay Member of Council (1) (B Rigg)
Nominees of Senate (2) (C Thornton, K Smith)
Secretary (K. Lindsell)
Corporate Services (3) (P Punchard, S Jones, N Sheppard)
Academic Services (1) (J Hamilton)
Life & Environmental Sciences (1) (N Tongue)
Engineering, Mathematics & Physical Sciences (1) (J Cresswell)
Humanities (1) (G Stringer)
Social Science & International Studies (1) (J Lunnon)
Business School (1) (S Turner)
Medical School (1) (P Biggs)
Guild of Students (1) (O Murrish)
Trade Union (TU) Health and Safety Representatives of:
Unite (2) (M Grapes, M Richards)
UCU (1) (J Stephenson)
Unison (1) (J Hamilton)
Members of Health & Safety Team
Members of Occupational Health Service (2)
Member of Insurance & Business Continuity Office (1)
The Committee meets once each term and reports to Council.
Minutes of recent meetings are available here