Deal with a fire
1) If you discover a fire - however small it may be SOUND THE ALARM.
2) Call the Fire Service by dialling 999. Be prepared to give them the address of the building.
3) Summon help and if possible (without taking personal risk and trained to do so) attack the fire with available equipment, turning off gas and electricity
4) On hearing the fire alarm:
- Close your window and door,
- Check adjacent rooms and warn the inhabitants if they have not heard the alarm
- Do not stay to collect any possessions, just take a coat or similar clothing, if readily available, to keep warm,
- Leave the building quickly by the nearest available exit and warn the person in charge of any person known to be missing. Do not use the lifts.
5) Notify Estate Patrol (Exeter) on 01392 72 3999 (3999 internal, anytime 24/7) or Campus Security (Tremough) on 01326 25 1400 (1400 internal, day) or 07768 55779 (night)
6) Go to the assembly point
Estate Patrol (Exeter) only
Upon receipt of a call from a member of the public for assistance, which necessitates the attendance of the Fire Service, or upon receipt of a call of fire via the logging printer and/or other alarm; summon the Fire Service by dialling 999 on the exchange telephone and :
- Provide full details of the fire, or other incident (including ‘persons reported’ if applicable).
- Give full address or location where the incident has occurred.
- Provide any other information that may be of assistance to the emergency authorities.
- An Estate Patrol Officer equipped with keys and security lock code cards, should be dispatched to the location to assist the Service by opening barriers etc. and expedite entry to University premises.
- Report to the Fire Officer in charge and assist as requested.
The fire officer in charge assumes full responsibility for the incident upon arrival at the incident and therefore his instructions must be complied with.
Download the In Case of Fire notice for posting in buildings.