Drill procedures for IT Services, Laver Building
Mode of operation of the fire alarm system
The system, when actuated, will automatically:
- be presented as an emergency alarm (Status 1 = Fire) in the control room of Thorn Security Central Alarm Station at Bristol;
- operate a strobe-light and bell in the Laver Building Porter’s lodge and the IT Services Reception Area on the 5th Level, Laver Building; and
- send an alarm signal to the fire alarm control panel in the Laver Building, Porters Lodge.
It should be noted that the system will not operate the emergency control printer in the University Estate Patrol Office, Northcote House.
The Estate Patrol will therefore be unaware that an alarm has been actuated unless informed separately.
Evacuation drill procedure
- Immediately prior to the drill, the Central Alarm Station (Bristol) must be contacted on 0870 600 1004. The University’s “Essential Status” identification number must be quoted. For security reasons this must be obtained from a senior member of IT Services staff and kept confidential.
- A docket number will be allocated and the IT Services premises immediately “Taken off cover”.
- The fire drill may now proceed as for other academic buildings.
- At the conclusion of the fire drill, a return call must be made to the Central Alarm Control, quoting the docket number. The Alarm Status operator will confirm that the system is reconnected.
- Details of the drill must be entered onto the Fire Evacuation Drill Report Form and the Fire Log Book