Policy and Code of Practice
1 General Health and Safety Policy
1.1 The University of Exeter (the University) undertakes to comply with all statutory health and safety requirements.
1.2 The University wishes to adopt all other reasonably practicable means to eliminate hazards and reduce the risk of injury to its employees, students, visitors and contractors, and the risk of damage to its property.
1.3 The University will ensure resources are made available to provide:
- plant, equipment and systems of work that are safe and without risks to health;
- safe arrangements for the use, handling, storage and transport of articles and substances;
- a safe place of work with safe access to it and safe egress from it;
- a healthy working environment;
- adequate welfare facilities and arrangements;
- sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to ensure all employees are aware of the hazards at their workplace together with the necessary measures to be taken to protect against these hazards, if they are at risk;
- a monitoring, inspection and auditing procedure to ensure the effective management of health and safety throughout the University.
2 Policy on Fire Safety
2.1 The University undertakes to comply with the Fire Precautions Act (1971), the Housing Act (1985) and the Licensing Act (1964), the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations (1997 & 1999) and all future statutory requirements concerned with fire safety.
2.2 The University wishes to adopt all other reasonably practicable means to eliminate hazards and reduce the risk of injury or damage arising from fire.