Extension of studies

Extensions to the maximum period of study are only granted in exceptional circumstances and must be approved by the Dean of Research in your College.  If you wish to apply for an extension you may do so by completing the appropriate form which is available to download below or which can be collected from your College. You are required to submit an outline of work completed and a work-plan and schedule for completion of the remaining parts.  If your request is approved your College will write to you to confirm the new submission deadline for your thesis/dissertation.

ESRC: All requests for submission date extensions, not associated with changes to the funding end date, must be referred to ESRC.  Please contact your College PGR Administrator for advice and more information and refer to the Guidance and information for ESRC-funded students.

The University has a Statement of Procedures on periods of study permitted for research degrees which also covers the process for permitting extensions. This is accessible from the link below.

Statement of Procedures: Periods of Registration and Changes to Registration Status for Graduate Research Student

Please download the Extension Form.