Transfer of Students from MPhil and MbyRes to PhD

Subject to the approval of your Dean of College, candidates registered for a degree of Master  by Research or Master of Philosophy may be allowed to transfer their registration to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy and to have all or part of the period of study already completed under the original registration counted towards the period under the new registration.

It is common practice in many of the Colleges of the University to initially allow students to register for the degree of Master of Philosophy or Masters by Research, and then to transfer to the PhD on successful application.  Your College will have its own procedures for upgrading; the Statement of Procedures on transferring is accessible from the link below. Requests for transfer should normally be made not later than the sixth term of full-time registration, or the twelfth term of part-time registration.

Statement of Procedures: Periods of Registration and Changes to Registration Status for Graduate Research Students

The College will inform you by email that you are eligible to apply for upgrade and a link to the upgrade form will appear in your MYPGR.