Transferring to continuation status

You may be allowed to transfer to continuation status after completion of three years full-time or six years part-time study in the case of PhD students and two years full-time or four years part-time in the case of MPhil students. Requests to transfer must be supported by your Supervisor and the Dean of College who should consider the resource implications of the request. The eligibility above is a paraphrase of the wording to be found in the Statement of Procedures below. It is quite a dense statement, normally interpreted as follows:

You are permitted to transfer to continuation status once you have satisfied you supervisor that you have completed all of the research required for completion of your thesis, and no longer require intensive supervision or training: students who have transferred to continuation status will be expected to make minimal use of University resources.  If you are in this position, and have to spend time writing the thesis up, then transfer to continuation status could be appropriate. 

Transfer to continuation status is not an automatic right as it is dependant upon your progress. The Statement of Procedures on transferring to continuation status is accessible from the link below.

Statement of Procedures: Periods of Registration and Changes to Registration Status for Graduate Research Students

You will need to discuss transfer to Continuation Status with your supervisor(s) and if s/he agrees this is appropriate you will need to complete the Continuation Status Form which you will find in your MYPGR.

Please note:  If you are a full-time student of the University of Exeter, you will be eligible for Council Tax exemption for up to 4 years of study.  This period may include up to 12 month continuation status.  At the end of this period, or when you submit your first thesis for examination, whichever is earlier, you will become liable for Council Tax charges.