Interruption of studies

We recognise that you may wish to interrupt your studies for a variety of reasons. You are strongly advised to discuss the matter in full with your College. It is also important to consider the financial implications of interrupting your studies.

In any interruption of studies, the primary concern is to ensure that a return to study can be successfully made, and interruptions can therefore only be granted for 12 months in the first instance. Applications for an interruption extended beyond 12 months will be considered only in exceptional circumstances.

Once you have made your decision, please complete an online interruption form. This can be done either in person or over the phone with your college administrator, or can be accessed by logging into SID with your username and password.  The form will then be sent for approval by the College Director of Education.

Please return your UniCard to the SID desk in (Exeter) or the ASU in (Cornwall).

IT and Library Access

During your interruption you will retain access to your University IT account, including e-mail, E-library and ELE resources for the duration of the interruption unless otherwise specified. This makes it easy for you to maintain contact whilst on interruption.

Advice and Support

Should you require any advice or assistance relating to your studies during your period of interruption, please contact the Students' Guild Advice Unit or FXU Advice & Welfare.

Students' Guild

During your period of interruption you remain eligible to join societies and use Guild services, although you will not be able to vote in any elections. 

Important points of contact

General advice Guild Advice Unit

tel.: +44 (0)1392 723520


Financial advice Student Funding Team

tel.: +44 (0)300 555 0444


Accommodation advice Accommodation Office

tel.: +44 (0)300 555 0444


Student Information Desk Contact Details

Exeter campuses:


University of Exeter Forum
Stocker Road

Telephone number: 0300 555 0444
International callers: +44 1392 724724

Cornwall campuses:

Registry Services - Cornwall campuses

Peter Lanyon Building
Penryn Campus
TR10 9FE

Telephone: +44 (0)1326 371800