Undergraduate & Postgraduate Taught student Withdrawal

If you are a Postgraduate Research student please refer to the PGR section.

Before making a decision to withdraw from your studies, you should consult with your personal tutor. There may be serious financial implications if you withdraw from your studies at Exeter. You are strongly advised to discuss the matter in full with your College and the Students’ Guild Advice Unit (Exeter) or FXU Advice and Wellfare Service (Cornwall) and to view the Universities Student Finance Regulations before completing the form. Their information is provided at the bottom of this page.

Once you have made your decision, please complete the online form by logging into SID Online using your username and password. For guidance on how to log a withdrawal SID enquiry, please see the Student Interruption or Withdrawal Form Guide‌. The form will then be sent for approval by the College Director of Education.

Once you withdraw from a programme, your registration is terminated, and you cease to be a student of the University. If you are considering a withdrawal from study due to adverse personal circumstances, you should ensure that you have first considered interrupting your studies instead.

Please return your UniCard to the SID desk (Exeter) or the Information Point in Peter Lanyon Building (Cornwall).

See below for further details about withdrawing from the University of Exeter and the potential implications by clicking on the relevant link to reveal specific information:

Accommodation information

If you are living in university owned, managed or approved accommodation and you withdraw from the University of Exeter then you will need to vacate your accommodation within seven days of your last day in attendance, as stated on your withdrawal form. Please contact the Accommodation Office and advise them of the date you will vacate your room and they will notify your reception. Please refer to the Moving Out information on the accommodation website prior to your departure.


For students living in university owned or managed accommodation, there is a £120.00 administration charge for terminating your accommodation contract earlier than the agreed departure date. If you are owed any refunds based on an overpayment of your accommodation fees then this will be returned to you within 28 days following confirmation of your interruption from your college. In order for your refund to be processed, please log an enquiry requesting a refund via the Student Information Desk or through SID Online.

If you are living within an approved university residence e.g. Exeter Trust House, Point Exe, Printworks, Northfield, Northernhay House or The Barn, please contact them directly to arrange any charges. We would also recommend that you discuss this with the Students' Guild Advice Unit.

If your keys are not returned to your residence reception, we will continue to charge the accommodation fees until they are received. If you have lost your accommodation keys, please contact us because there is a charge for any loss of keys/fobs.

If you are studying on the Penryn Campus, please contact the Cornwall Accommodation Office.

Financial implications

You will not be eligible to apply for the University’s Hardship & Retention Fund once you have left the University of Exeter.

If you are in receipt of either the National Scholarship Programme (NSP) or Access to Exeter Bursaries, you will only be eligible to receive each instalment if you are liable for tuition fees for the relevant term.

If you have received a payment which you subsequently become ineligible for, the University will seek repayment.

If you are in receipt of the NSP fee waiver, your eligibility will be adjusted in proportion to your tuition fee liability.

If you are considering withdrawing from your course, you must inform your College immediately as you will no longer be eligible to receive the bursary. Any bursary payment received after your last day of attendance will require repayment.

If you are in receipt of a University of Exeter scholarship you may need to repay part of your scholarship award, should you interrupt or withdraw from your studies.

Any possible repayment will be discussed with your college and you will be contacted separately and will be advised of any balance which needs to be returned to the University.

If in receipt of a Research Council funded studentship, the Research Partner will also need to approve the decision.

Please contact SID: sid@exeter.ac.uk (Exeter) or cornwall-finance@ex.ac.uk (Cornwall) without delay to make appropriate arrangements to settle your debt to the University of Exeter.

Any instalments due after the date of withdrawal will not be paid to you. Your Relevant Funding Body (Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland) will reassess your entitlement to support based on the period of actual attendance of the course. If an overpayment has been made your Relevant Funding Body may recover the overpayment from your entitlement. If you take up studies again the overpayment may be recovered from your future entitlements.

If you have taken out a tuition fee loan through your Relevant Funding Body (Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland) your loan entitlement ceases.  For more information please see the Governments Student Finance information.

If you are liable to make a contribution towards your fees you will be asked to pay a proportion of tuition fees to the University of Exeter. For withdrawal details please visit the Student Finance Regulations.  If you are funded by the Student Loans Company, you must advise them of a change of circumstance and it may affect your entitlement to any future help if you start a new course.

If you are in receipt of a US/Canadian Loan the University of Exeter may be required to return part of your funding.  Please contact SID: sid@exeter.ac.uk (Exeter) or cc-registry@exeter.ac.uk (Cornwall)

IT information

Once you are deemed withdrawn and this has been confirmed by the Director of Education from your college, you will no longer have access to your University IT account including your email address and saved files. Please ensure you have provided an alternative contact email address on your withdrawal form.

Library information

It is your responsibility to contact the library to clear your library record before withdrawing.  Please note that any fines due are payable prior to your withdrawal.

Tier 4 International students information

If you are a Tier 4 visa holder, please be aware that withdrawal from the University will have implications on your immigration status. The University of Exeter is legally obliged to inform UK Visas & Immigration (UKVO) that you are no longer a registered student for which you have been granted leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom. For further advice, please speak to the International Student Support Office.

Students' Guild (Exeter) and FXU (Cornwall) information

Once you leave the course, you cease to be considered as a student. You may then be eligible for social security benefits. The Students’ Guild Advice Unit (Exeter) or FXU Advice and Wellbeing Service (Cornwall) can give you further advice on this. You may also become liable for Council Tax, depending on where and with whom you live.

Please refer to the University Calendar for reference to the full Finance Regulations.

Important points of contact

Accommodation advice Accommodation Office Tel: +44 (0)300 555 0444
Email: sid@exeter.ac.uk
Financial advice Accounts Receivable and Student Funding Team Tel: +44 (0)300 555 0444
Email: sid@exeter.ac.uk
General advice (Exeter) Students' Guild Advice Unit Tel: +44 (0)1392 723520
Email: advice@exeterguild.com
General advice (Cornwall) FXU Advice & Welfare Tel: +44 (0)1326 255861
Email: advice@fxu.org.uk
Immigration Advice International Student Support Office

Tel: +44 (0)300 555 0444
Email: sid@exeter.ac.uk

SID (Exeter) SID
University of Exeter Forum
Stocker Road

Tel: +44 (0)300 555 0444
International: +44 (01392 724724
Email: sid@exeter.ac.uk

Registry Services (Cornwall) Registry Services
Peter Lanyon Building
Penryn Campus
TR10 9FE
Tel: +44 (0)1326 371800
Email: cc-registry@exeter.ac.uk