The Forum - Details of Official Opening
We are now making the final preparations for the opening of the Forum by Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh on Wednesday 2 May as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. We would like as many students as possible to join the celebration.
This provides a fantastic opportunity to showcase our achievements not just to The Queen, but to all of our friends and supporters. We are expecting several thousand people to attend this historic occasion.
Because of security considerations we cannot provide you with all of the details just yet. We can say the visit will take place around lunchtime and there will be live music from a sound stage outside the INTO building on Stocker Road from 1030, plus food and drink on sale. We envisage the Forum will open for business approximately one hour after the Royal visitors have left the campus and its first full day of operation will be 3 May.
As you might expect, an event of this scale will cause some disruption to normal activities on the Streatham campus. Our expectation is that we will provide as normal a service as possible for students.
The main impact will be on car parking and access to the Streatham Campus/buildings.
Car and bike parking
- Most of the University’s car parks will be closed for the day, except those on the fringes of the campus around halls of residence.
- Some 400 additional car parking spaces for permit holders will be provided at Exeter Arena to make up for spaces lost on campus. A FREE SHUTTLE BUS will run at half hourly intervals from 0715 to 1015 between the Arena and the Hatherly building on Prince of Wales Road. The shuttle bus will take people back to Exeter Arena, departing from outside Hatherly between 1500-1800.
- However, The Queen’s Drive and Stocker Road will be CLOSED for the duration of the Royal visit meaning you will not be able to arrive by car between approximately 1100 and 1500.
- The D and H bus services are likely to suffer some disruption as a result of the Royal visit.
- All bicycles should be parked in dedicated cycle bays to ensure footpaths and access routes are kept clear and to prevent damage to University trees or property. A list of locations can be found on the Campus Map
- There will be additional catering on the day, but campus restaurants outside the immediate area of the Forum will remain open, such as La Touche, Harrys, the Ram, Long Lounge, Coffee and Cake and Queen's. The campus shop will also be open.
Access to buildings
- The Library will remain OPEN as normal.
- The Great Hall and University reception will be CLOSED for the duration of the visit.
- Northcote House will remain OPEN but there will be restrictions to access between 1200 and 1500. Entry will only be granted on production of a student ID card.
- Generally it will take longer to get across campus on the day.
If you have any queries please contact the Campus Services Helpdesk, which is open Monday – Friday 0800-2000.
May I end by thanking you for your patience during the building of the Forum and our other major building projects. The opening of the Forum completes a transformation of the Streatham campus which is essential for providing the highest quality service and facilities. The result is simply stunning.
We will update you with further details of the Royal visit as we get closer to 2 May.
With best wishes
Registrar and Deputy Chief Executive
Date: 19 April 2012