The University invites applications for the Scholarships listed below from candidates residing in Cornwall or Devon who also meet the specific requirements of the individual awards and have been offered an undergraduate place at the University (Exeter and Penryn campuses) through UCAS for degrees commencing in September 2022.
Special Entrance Scholarships for 2022 entry
Offered to new students who meet the specific requirements of each scholarship scheme as follows:
- Ballard Scholarships – for males who have been members of the Ballard Institute, Plymouth. If funds available, also available to males from the City of Plymouth or the Borough of Saltash or the Rural District of Plympton St Mary. Up to £150 annually.
- Devon Scholarships - there are a number of scholarships available each year to those born in the County of Devon or ordinarily resident in the County for at least 3 years prior to an application being made. Up to £350 annually.
- Cedric Hall Mardon Scholarship – for sons of officers of the RAF or RAFVR, primarily sons of officers who have died whilst on active service. Up to £200 annually.
- Charles Read Scholarships – offered to individuals under the age of 19 at the time of application whose parents have resided for the preceding 15 years in the Parish of Honiton or, if funds available, the Honiton Parliamentary division of Devon. Up to £150 annually.
- George Christopher Davie Masonic Scholarship –offered to children of a Devonshire Freemason who:
- was resident in Devon when initially admitted to the lodge
- a subscribing member of the Lodge and resident in Devon for 5 consecutive years (within 2 years of an application being made). Up to £100 annually.
- Horwill Memorial Scholarship - for applicants who have relatives in employment with, or have retired from, the Post Office in the South West region. Up to £125 annually.
- Plymouth Naval, Military and Air Force Scholarship - for children of members of the fighting services in Plymouth. Up to £200 annually.
Additional Special Entrance Scholarships
Other scholarships offered to new students, which are administered independently, are available as follows:
- CV Thomas Scholarship - for pupils of Truro School. For further information, contact the Headmaster, Truro School.
How to apply
Details of the Special and Other Entrance scholarships with attendant application form can be obtained from the Scholarship Administrator, Admissions Office, University of Exeter to whom completed forms (together with supporting documentary evidence certifying the validity of a claim based on residential and/or occupational grounds, e.g. birth certificate) should be returned.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide your nine digit Exeter Reference Number when requesting these particulars.
Applicants applying for deferred entry onto degree programmes commencing in September 2023 can submit an application during their gap year post confirmation of a place in summer 2022, i.e. from October 2022 onwards until the prescribed deadline for the 2023 entry scheme (date to be confirmed).
Scholarships are awarded on the basis of both meeting the specified criteria as detailed above and consideration of UCAS application forms, achievement of grades in GCE A-Level examinations (or examinations of equivalent standing) as determined by the scholarship committee.
Awards are made for one year initially. Scholarships can be renewed annually for the normal duration of a first degree programme, subject to satisfactory progress by the nominated student and recurrent funds being available.
The University reserves the right not to offer scholarships if in the opinion of the interviewing committee no candidates of sufficient merit present themselves.
Deadline for the submission of this application is 16 September 2022.