Starting at university is an exciting time and we realise the importance of finding the right place to live. Being in university residences enables you make friends straight away. You will meet a diverse range of people from different backgrounds and cultures, studying a variety of courses.
We have a variety of self-catered and catered accommodation available at both our Exeter and Penryn campuses suitable for a range of budgets.
It is not compulsory to live in university accommodation in your first year and if you would like to live in private accommodation, there are a number of options available.
With over 5,900 bed spaces, our accommodation in Exeter provides something for everyone. We provide a mixture of catered and self-catered accommodation to self-contained family flats (one to three bedrooms). We offer three room types to suit budgets and preference. These are:
- Standard - with a wash basin, sharing the kitchen* and shower room with other students. (Please note in our catered accommodation 50% of our standard rooms are twin occupancy)
- En-suite - sharing the kitchen* with other students but have your own en-suite shower room in your room
- Studio - offers independent living and are self-catered only with your own kitchenette and en-suite within your room.
Not all of our accommodation is located on campus, we have 30% of our self-catered undergraduate accommodation located off campus. All of our catered accommodation is located on the Streatham campus. If you are located off campus, this means:
- maximum walk of 30 minutes to your campus
- close to the city centre
- regular bus service runs between the campuses and the city centre, train and coach stations
- support from our Estate Patrol and Residence Life Teams
We are able to guarantee accommodation to:
- new students entering the first year of an undergraduate programme who have firmly accepted the offer of a place at the University of Exeter*;
- Study Abroad or Erasmus students studying at Exeter for the full academic year.
We would advise you to make your application by 31 July which is our Accommodation Guarantee deadline.
* University accommodation is accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University. We are unable to guarantee you a residence on campus.
If you have Exeter as your FIRM choice, you will be able to apply for accommodation online from the middle of April for your year of entry, ready for arrival in September.
Students with a disability or medical requirement
We endeavour to make reasonable adjustments to support individuals who, due to disability, a long-term medical condition or sensory or physical impairment require adapted accommodation or a particular location to help them participate and enjoy a fulfilling university experience. We have a limited number of adapted and accessible rooms so students should apply as early as possible for their accommodation and contact AccessAbility/Wellbeing Services to discuss arrangements so that any reasonable adjustments can be implemented before a student arrives.
Prices of accommodation
Rents include all utility bills, internet and contents insurance, plus 16 meals per week in catered halls. Please refer to the self-catered and catered price lists for a breakdown of contract lengths and accommodation fees for each residence. Rents are reviewed annually and details are usually available in the Spring for your year of entry.
There are over 4,000 students studying here and with over 2,000 bed spaces, there is a great community feel and access to state of the art facilities. One sure way to make university life easier to adapt to is by living in university accommodation. It helps you settle in, make friends and, especially somewhere like the Penryn Campus, you’ll really start to get a feel for the place. At our Penryn Campus in Cornwall we are able to offer both catered and self-catered in our purpose-built student village on campus. We are able to offer two different types of room:
- Single occupancy en-suite with a double bed and sharing a kitchen (available for both self-catered and catered)
- Shared occupancy en-suite with either a studybed or bunk beds and sharing a kitchen
Visit the Accommodation website for full details including further images, information on how many students share a flat and prices.
Our self-catered accommodation is safe, secure, well designed and purpose built; its atmosphere, attractiveness, intimacy and convenience will help your university career get off to the best possible start. Glasney Student Village is based on campus, while the Sidings are a short walk away in Penryn, adjacent to the train station.
We offer a guarantee of accommodation in university owned, managed or approved accommodation to the following students;
- A UK, EU or international undergraduate applicant who has firmly accepted an offer to study at University of Exeter – Penryn Campus as their first choice university and will be entering into Year 1
- A Study Abroad or Erasmus student studying at University of Exeter starting in September
- An International postgraduate applicant who has firmly accepted an offer to study at University of Exeter – Penryn Campus as their first choice university.
You must apply for accommodation by the published deadline to be guaranteed a bed space within our accommodation.
Utilities are included within all our halls, with some capped by an average allowance that needs to be 'topped up' if exceeded. Contents insurance is included in the rent. Rents are reviewed annually and details for your year of entry will be available in the Spring of that year. For further information see the price list on the Cornwall website.
Students with a disability or medical requirement
A number of rooms in both Glasney Student Village and The Sidings have been modified for students with a range of disabilities. We're happy to discuss individual requirements with students who have disabilities, and we encourage you to contact the Accommodation Office and the Accessibility Service at an early stage.
An insight into our accommodation
The videos shown below provide a detailed insight into the accommodation options available at both Exeter and Penryn including some of the services and facilities which are offered:
An A-Z of accommodation for students living in Cornwall.
Why our current students chose self-catered accommodation in Exeter.
What our students like about our catered accommodation in Exeter.
I've loved living in halls in my time at Exeter! Birks Grange is only a short distance from campus and means it's easy to get to all my lectures, seminars, social and sports events.
'Cardiac Hill' has certainly lived up to its nickname, and trekking up the hill every day is keeping me in shape. Living in halls has also provided me with the opportunity to meet lots of people and I couldn't have asked for nicer flatmates. I would strongly recommend halls for anyone coming to Exeter as I've had such a great experience!