SRK Consulting UK Ltd Scholarship Programme
About the award
SRK Consulting is an independent, international consulting practice, providing globally integrated consulting services to the international mining and metals sector. The SRK Group employs over 1,500 professional consultants internationally and has 48 offices in 22 countries. SRK has been providing its clients with innovative, practical and cost effective solutions for over 35 years. Our client base covers a wide range of industries, particularly within the resources and engineering sectors.
SRK Consulting (UK) Ltd (SRK (UK)) is a leading international operation with the UK headquarters based in Cardiff the vibrant capital of Wales – Europe’s youngest capital city. We offer a variety of interesting and challenging projects working from a capital city location. Many of our projects are of an international nature and utilise SRK’s international consulting network.
SRK (UK) is pleased to announce our scholarship programme commencing in 2013, created to assist students undertaking scientific and engineering Masters which can be applied in the mining industry. As a guide Masters in the following areas will be considered:
- Mining and Evaluation
- Exploration and Mining Geology
- Hydrogeology and Water Engineering
- Tailings and Mine Waste Management
- Environmental Science and Engineering
The scholarship is intended to encourage and support students to complete a university master’s degree and to provide the successful recipient with a financial contribution to assist furthering their MSc studies. It will also provide the recipient with the opportunity to work alongside our experienced professionals and gain practical hands-on experience in their selected field, through paid vacation placements with SRK (UK) during the course of their studies to complete their associated MSc projects or dissertations.
Recipients of the scholarship may be provided with the opportunity to undertake a suitable research project for their MSc of up to a maximum of 16 weeks. This project placement will be paid and the recipient will be provided with further details when their scholarship has been confirmed.
This is a unique learning experience providing exposure to the international consulting environment.
- have the right to study and work in the UK or EEA
- have an appropriate undergraduate degree qualification
- meet the admission requirements and be enrolled in a scientific/engineering MSc which could be applied in the mining industry as per the above definition
Applicants will be assessed on the following criteria:
- academic achievement as evidenced by their academic record
- a written recommendation by university reference and/or previous employer
- a written statement of no more than 500 words outlining:
a) the benefit they will obtain from the scholarship
b) willingness to be involved in promotional activities in relation to this scholarship
c) genuine desire to work in the mining and resources industry
d) any other information the applicant considers relevant to their application, for example voluntary work undertaken
- Selection of the recipient is made by the scholarship panel having regard to the applicant’s completed application form and supporting documentation.
- The scholarship panel may interview short-listed applicants.
- The successful applicants will be notified by SRK (UK) by the end of July 2013. Prior to enrolment of a course to start in the academic year (normally September).
- The selection decision is at the complete discretion of the SRK (UK) scholarship panel and while the panel may provide reasons for an unsuccessful application, it is under no obligation to do so.
Scholarship terms and conditions
The successful applicant will be asked to sign a legally binding contract containing the terms of the scholarship, which may include first refusal of employment upon successful completion of the studies.
Circumstances under which repayment of the scholarship may be required include:
- non-completion of studies
- when an offer of employment with SRK (UK) is not taken
- in the event the applicant leaves SRK (UK)’s employment within a specified period
|Application deadline:||28th June 2013|
|Number of awards:||1|
|Value:||Up to £5,000|
|Duration of award:||for 1 year|
|Contact: Bethan Gallimorefirstname.lastname@example.org|
How to apply
To apply, you must submit:
- a brief curriculum vitae (no more than 2 pages), including details of present and previous work experience where applicable
- a written statement of no more than 500 words
- the name and contact details of a university or work experience referee
Completed applications can be submitted to email@example.com or sent to:
Private & Confidential FAO: Bethan Gallimore
Human Resources Department
SRK Consulting UK Ltd
Level 5 Churchill House
17 Churchill Way
CF10 2HH, Wales
All applications must be received by 28 June 2013.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the university at the start of the course. The recipient must provide evidence of enrolment in the appropriate academic year.
The recipient should make SRK (UK) aware of any funding received, in addition to the scholarship.