Biosciences currently offers three 4 year degree programmes that accommodate an industrial/professional placement year, aligned to the standard degree programmes: BSc Biological Sciences with Professional Placement, BSc Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with Industrial Experience and BSc Biochemistry with Industrial Experience.
During the placement year (year 3), you will gain valuable experience from working in an appropriate business or industry; we have established collaborations with local, national and multinational companies. Throughout the year you will take two modules: Learning from Industrial Experience and Industrial Placement Report. You’ll have regular contact with an academic supervisor in addition to a supervisor at the company.
In terms of the degree course, progression to the placement year is dependent upon your performance in both years 1 and 2 of the degree. BSc Biological Sciences with Professional Placement students are required to achieve an average mark of at least 65 per cent in both years; BSc Biological and Medicinal Chemistry with Industrial Experience and BSc Biochemistry with Industrial Experience students are required to achieve an average mark of at least 60 per cent in both years. During the placement year you undertake the two credited modules listed above; the year counts 1/7 towards your final degree classification.
How are the placements organised?
- You are an employee of an organisation for 10-12 months
- The placements are sought during the second year of study and commence the following October
- You are responsible for applying for positions, with direct guidance from the Industrial Placements Co-ordinator
- Some organisations remunerate students during the placement
Who benefits from the placement?
- You can gain valuable experience from working in industry, both improving your personal skills, making new contacts and enhancing your employability
- Placements can help employers enhance their workforce and improve training
- Our placement degrees produce experienced graduates with many skills applicable to industry, and placement companies often offer employment after graduation
If you are interested in studying for one of our placement degrees, or you are a company that is interested in taking placement students, please contact the Industrial Placements Co-ordinator:
Dr Mark Ramsdale
tel: +44 (0) 1392 725173
Many of our programmes are recognised by the Royal Society of Biology.