- 12th in the Complete University Guide 2018 for General Engineering
- 5th for Materials and Mineral Engineering in The Guardian University Guide 2018
- 86% of Engineering students in professional occupations or graduate-level further study within six months of graduating
- Industry experience available to all students through summer placements or Year in Industry
- Hands-on courses with an emphasis on practical project work using specialist equipment
Engineering challenges lie at the heart of many of the most significant problems facing society in the 21st century, ranging from responding to climate change through developing sustainable energy sources and making efficient use of scarce natural resources.
To be a successful engineer in the present fast-moving technological world you will require an education with the broadest possible interdisciplinary base. As tomorrow’s engineer, you will find that your career will involve not only bringing your own specialist knowledge to a project, but also collaborating with engineers from other disciplines and the management of interdisciplinary teams.
At Exeter we offer a range of exciting, rewarding and professionally accredited specialist degrees covering the major engineering disciplines. We recognise that professional engineers often work together within multidisciplinary teams, solving problems collectively, and this underpins how we teach. Our degrees offer professional and academic rigor within specialist engineering disciplines combined with a strong multi-disciplinary thread throughout.
When you join us you may have had little experience of the different disciplines within engineering, so you may be uncertain which area will most inspire you. Our core first year lets you try them all, giving you the flexibility to change direction as you explore this fascinating subject. During the first year you will engage with our enthusiastic and supportive faculty across all disciplines and see for yourself how essential a multidisciplinary approach is to both a successful engineering career and ground-breaking research. In the second and subsequent years you will specialise in your chosen area of engineering, leading to a specialist degree at MEng or BEng level. Added flexibility is provided through being able to transfer between BEng and MEng at the end of your second year, along with the opportunities to experience an industrial placement or a period of overseas study in any of our programmes.
We collaborate with numerous major UK and international industrial organisations, as well as smaller companies, ensuring our programmes are relevant to the industrial and commercial imperatives of today and to the needs of the future. Our faculty undertakes research projects crossing engineering borders, collaborating with scientists from across our integrated College including physicists, mathematicians and computer scientists. This unique environment provides an inspirational learning platform, which combines with our state-of-the-art facilities, and the personal support and academic guidance integral to our exemplary student experience, to provide the perfect launch pad for the engineers of the future.
The University of Exeter has a long history of accreditation success with its undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes in Engineering. Our MEng and BEng programmes include accreditation by the ICE, IET, IStructE, IOM3 and IMechE. Our degree programmes also conform to the Engineering Council's UK-SPEC (UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence) that specifies the requirements for achieving Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
I like that Exeter has a general first year for all the engineering disciplines. It means that you get more rounded knowledge and a better understanding when working in interdisciplinary teams.
If I could offer any advice to future students it would be: don't worry about being out of your depth when you start the course. People come from many different backgrounds, with many different qualifications so the lectures makes sure that everyone has the same foundation knowledge needed for the course.
The lecturers are all academics working on various projects, and their passion for their chosen area of study comes through in their teaching. We have practical sessions which relate directly to what we're learning, allowing us to see and understand how theories are put into practice. We also have tutorial sessions, which involve working through problems with your lecturer or a PhD student. It is an opportunity to ask questions, and discuss in more detail the content that you're covering in lectures.
Rianna Russell, MEng Materials Engineering, 2020
Degrees in Exeter
- BEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil Engineering
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering
- MEng Electronic Engineering
- BEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- BEng Engineering
- MEng Engineering
- BEng Engineering and Entrepreneurship
- MEng Engineering and Entrepreneurship
- BEng Engineering and Management
- MEng Engineering and Management
- BEng Materials Engineering
- MEng Materials Engineering
- BEng Mechanical Engineering
- MEng Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering Site Management
- BEng Civil Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Civil Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Civil Engineering with International Study
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Civil and Environmental Engineering with International Study
- BEng Electronic Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Electronic Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Electronic Engineering with International Study
- BEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science with Year in Industry
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science with Year in Industry
- MEng Electronic Engineering and Computer Science with International Study
- BEng Engineering and Management with Year in Industry
- MEng Engineering and Management with Year in Industry
- MEng Engineering and Management with International Study
- BEng Materials Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Materials Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Materials Engineering with International Study
- BEng Mechanical Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Year in Industry
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with International Study
Degrees in Cornwall
Majority of specialist degrees accredited under licence from the UK regulator, the Engineering Council.