Undergraduate Study

UK government grants and loans

Maintenance loan

Full-time UK students can apply for a maintenance loan to help with living costs in each year of your degree. The amount you get will depend on your household income. The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of each term. You have to pay the loan back.

Full-time student2017/20182018/2019
Living at home Up to £7,097 Up to £7,324
Living away from home, outside London Up to £8,430 Up to £8,700
Living away from home, in London Up to £11,002 Up to £11,354
Spending a year of a UK course studying abroad Up to £9,654 Up to £9,963

For further details visit the Gov.uk Student Finance website. Use the student finance calculator to estimate your Maintenance Loan.

Tuition fee loan

Covers your full tuition fees and means that you will not have to pay undergraduate tuition fees before you start or during your time at university. It is paid direct to the university.