In recent years we have secured our status as a top 10 institution in the BUSA Championships, with our teams competing for national titles. Our sports facilities have benefited from a multi-million pound investment programme with further investment planned, meaning that Exeter's sporting provision is amongst the best in the UK. The University’s high performance focus sports are rugby, hockey, football, sailing, cricket, golf, tennis, lacrosse, netball and rowing.
More details on sport at our Exeter campuses are available on our Sport website. For more details on sport activities and facilities at our Penryn Campus in Cornwall, visit the Penryn Campus Sport and Recreation page and the Students' Union (FXU) clubs and societies page. At Exeter, the Athletic Union co-ordinates the clubs which provide both competitive and recreational sport and welcomes people at all skill levels; find more information on the Athletic Union web pages.
General Recreation Programme
The Sports Centre runs popular classes in aerobics, circuit training, Tai Chi, yoga, pilates, dance, badminton, squash and tennis. Gym inductions are offered to all new users. A wide variety of other programmes, including personal training and fitness testing, are also offered.
Sports Performance Programme
The Sports Performance Programme develops the standard of squad players in the University's focus sports where emphasis is placed on fitness conditioning with nutrition, psychological and technical coaching available as appropriate.
Our flagship Sports Scholarship Scheme continues to attract students with great ability and offers both generous financial and sports science support.
Sport facilities at our campuses are open to students, staff and the wider community, with a range of membership options, including pay-as-you-go.
The Sport facilities pages give further details of facilities at Streatham and St Luke's.
- Main hall, the largest in the South West; two additional sports halls; indoor traversing wall and lead wall
- Tennis centre with four indoor and four outdoor courts; five squash courts
- The Russell Seal Fitness Centre is 200-station air-conditioned health and fitness studio; two exercise studios; advanced conditioning studio; physiotherapy suite
- Heated indoor swimming pool (St Luke's); outdoor swimming pool (Streatham).
Facilities for outdoor sport include:
- Topsham Sports Ground - two soccer pitches, two minor-counties standard cricket squares, and lacrosse facilities
- Olympic-standard water-based synthetic pitch, regularly used by National Hockey Squads
- Multi-User-Games-Area (MUGA) providing five-a-side on a sand-based synthetic pitch
- fleet of Lark dinghies at the Roadford RYA Sailing Centre; well-equipped boathouse on the Exeter Canal.
Penryn Campus, Cornwall
The air-conditioned Penryn Campus Sports Centre offers the latest fitness equipment, free-weight area, fitness studio and resident physiotherapist. Regular classes include aerobics, cardio kick, ab-blast, dance, yoga, pilates, and relaxation, as well as one-off classes such as break-dancing. A multi-use games area offers an all-weather, floodlit facility for five-a-side football, hockey and tennis for use by sports clubs and societies.
Sports Clubs: Exeter campuses
- Athletics & cross country
- Basketball (men's & women's)
- Cricket (men's & women's)
- Football (men's & women's)
- Hockey (men's & women's)
- Karate Shotokan
- Rugby League
- Rugby Union (men's & women's)
- Ski Racing
- Sub Aqua
- Tennis (men's & women's)
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Water Polo
- Waterski and Wake Board
Sports Clubs: Penryn Campus, Cornwall
- Climbing and abseiling
- Extreme sports
- Gig rowing
- Hockey (men's and women's)
- Horse riding
- Kung fu
- Rugby (men's and women's)
- Scuba diving
- Sea swimming
- Squash and tennis