Frequently asked questions

Below are some quick links to the answers of some of our most frequently asked questions. If you can't find the answer your looking for then please get in touch by logging an enquiry with the Student Information Desk via the Help and Support tab in the My Exeter Portal, or by calling us on 01392 72 4381.

Does Wellbeing Services keep student records?

We keep computer-based records of the information you provide to help us offer you a professional service and to ensure you receive appropriate advice and support. All personal and sensitive data that we hold is processed according to the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998. Personal information conveyed to us will not be disclosed to other university staff or external organisations without your explicit and informed consent. You may also withhold your permission for us to share information but this may affect the level of support the university is able to offer you.

Wellbeing Services also collect routine statistical information about each contact made with the service which is later anonymised and then analysed for audit and evaluation purposes. This information is subsequently summarised and interpreted in the Wellbeing Services Annual Report. The utmost care is taken to ensure no individually identifiable information is disclosed.

Are pschological therapies free?

Yes, counselling is free to all Exeter University students.

I experience mental health difficulties, what support is available for me at the University?

The University offers professional mental health support to all its students through the Wellbeing Services team at the Wellbeing Centre on Streatham Campus and the Accessibility Service at the Cornwall Campus. Both teams offer a confidential and supportive place to discuss what is happening for you and how your mental health difficulties are impacting on your course, academic progression and university life.

Support can include assistance in managing your mental health difficulties, putting in place reasonable adjustments to your course, liaising with your academic College, and/or signposting to other services such as your GP, International Student Support and community mental health services.
For more information, please see our leaflet on "Support for Students Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties".

I have a mental health difficulty and I'm struggling with my course what should I do?

If you are struggling with your course as a result of your mental health difficulty it is important to talk to someone as soon as possible.

There are several people you could speak to including:

  • A member of staff from Wellbeing Services or (if you are in Cornwall) an Accessibility Advisor
  • Your GP/doctor
  • Your personal tutor
  • A member of staff from your College or Student Office

Do you offer a confidential service?

A confidential service is offered whether a student has chosen to declare their health issue or not. This means that personal information shared with Wellbeing Services (Exeter) or Accessibility (Cornwall) teams will not be passed on to anybody else without the student’s permission.

There are, however, rare occasions when the rule of confidentiality might be waived. For full details of these exceptions, please see our Wellbeing Services Confidentiality Statement.

A Health, Wellbeing and Fitness to Study meeting has been mentioned to me, what is this?

The Health, Wellbeing and Fitness to Study procedure ensures you are properly supported with any health and wellbeing issue that is impacting on your ability to study. The full procedure can be found at: 

A Health, Wellbeing and Fitness to Study meeting provides an opportunity to consider how you are managing at university and what adjustments and support options may be helpful to you.

If a Health, Wellbeing and Fitness to Study meeting has been suggested to you, you may find it helpful to make a Wellbeing Services (mental health) appointment to support you in this.

I have been recommended mental health mentoring, who would this be with and what would it involve?

Mental health mentoring is a form of study and personal support which helps students with mental health issues to fully access their course. The Mental Health Mentors are experienced mental health professionals who work as part of the Wellbeing Services Team based at the Wellbeing Centre on the Exeter Campus. A Mental Health Mentor would work with you to identify how your mental health is impacting on your daily life including your ability to access your course. They will also work with you to develop strategies to help you manage your health and wellbeing more effectively.

I have heard that I may be able to get reasonable adjustments because of my mental health difficulty, what are they?

The Equality Act (2010) requires that reasonable adjustments are put in place to remove barriers that may prevent students from participating at university and to minimise the impact that their mental health difficulty may have on their ability to study.

A reasonable adjustment is a response to an individual student’s needs and is any slight alternative to the existing framework, elements and assessments of the student’s course. Examples of reasonable adjustments include:

  • Putting an individual learning plan in place (ILP)
  • Exam arrangements
  • Special field trip arrangements
  • Renegotiated deadlines
  • Alternative assessments