How can Wellbeing Services support me in my application for mitigation?

If you are applying for mitigation you will need to contact your College or Student Office who will offer you advice and support with regard to the application procudeure. Please also see the University’s guidelines on mitigation

Students who receive counselling or CBT may request a letter of support for mitigation confirming when and for how long they have been having sessions. This letter of attendance will not reveal any details of discussions between you and your therapist. If you require any further information to be sent to your college, please contact your GP about this.

Students should be advised that applications for mitigation should normally be made in advance of assessment being submitted (for extension of deadline) or the meeting of Board of Examiners (for mitigation performance).

If you have received mental health support the Wellbeing team may be able to supply a more detailed letter to support your application. This is done on an individual basis and you need to discuss this with your Wellbeing team contact. Please note that usual University procedure requires the provision of medical evidence when applying for mitigation on health grounds.

If you would like to request a letter of attendance, please download and complete a Consent for liaison form.

Once you have completed, signed and dated the form please send to or by logging an enquiry through the Student Information Desk.