All new staff are required to prove their right to work in the UK
Proof of right to work in the UK
The UK Government has introduced regulations (the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) to ensure that employers only employ people who are legally permitted to work in the UK. These regulations require an employer to verify a new employee’s right to work in this country by checking and copying certain documents and to undertake annual checks on employees whose right to work in the UK is time-limited.
This requirement applies to all new members of staff, irrespective of their nationality. It is a criminal offence to employ someone who does not have the right to work in the UK.
Procedure for new staff
All new members of staff are required to provide evidence of their right to work before they start employment with the University. If the documents are not provided at interview, the new employee should bring their document(s) detailed in the section how to prove your right to work in the UK, for verification and copying to:
Exeter-based staff (except medical school)
Employee Services Team, Room 357A on the third floor of Northcote House (on the Streatham Campus) during the following days/times: Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm.
Cornwall-based staff (except medical school)
Please take your documentation to the Peter Lanyon Reception during the following days/times: Monday to Fridays, 9am to 5pm
Medical School Exeter- based staff
Please contact the relevant person listed below and arrange a suitable time to take your documentation for verification and copying.
- Ellie Pickering, please email to make an appointment email@example.com
- Jane Slaven, College House (Ground floor, room G.27), please email to make an appointment firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joy Choules, Room JS03/JS108, Smeall Building, available all week. Please phone extension 2743 or email: email@example.com
- Sue Whiffin, South Cloisters, available Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10am to 2pm, extension 6056
- William Denford, Undergraduate Office, Medical School Building, 01392 406707
- Heidi Gambie, Undergraduate Office, Medical School Building, 01392 406714
Medical School Cornwall-based staff
Truro Hospital- Knowledge Spa
- Irene Baxter, room S10 (2nd floor), available Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 9am to 12.30pm, telephone (01872) 258131
- Petrina Bradbrook, room number F090, available Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm, telephone (01872) 258131
If a new employee is unable to present these documents before they start employment, the start date may be delayed or the offer of employment may be withdrawn.
Procedure for individuals paid on a claims basis
The requirement to check evidence of right to work in the UK also applies to individuals undertaking casual work. Casual workers should provide evidence of their right to work in the UK to HR, room 356, Northcote House, before they start working. Casual workers will not be able to submit timesheets via the eClaims system until their right to work has been received. Please see the How to prove right to work pages for information about what to bring in. Please note if you are a on a Tier 4 visa there is additional information on the Student web pages.
Exeter Medical School - Cornwall based claims workers
Please take your right to work documents to:
Caroline Crate, Undergraduate Office (1st Floor -the office is adjacent to the Student Reception), available Monday to Friday 9.30am to 5.30pm, telephone (01872) 256406
or if unavailable please contact Anne Davidson, available Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm, telephone (01872) 255 129