COVID-19 update for students - 1 February 2022
I want to start by thanking you all. We can see from our latest data that you are continuing to regularly test for COVID-19, and to report the results of your tests. Thanks to your actions, we are able to target our testing on campus to help prevent the further spread of COVID-19 across our community.
Unfortunately, across our region, cases of COVID-19 continue to rise, and in Devon and Cornwall the case rates are now higher than in some other parts of England. This is a common pattern, as new infections often reach the south west region later than other parts of the country. The highest case rates in this region are currently affecting the 0-19 and 20-39 age groups and this means that our student community is the most at risk of being infected.
We know the Omicron variant spreads easily – it is essential that we continue to act cautiously to protect yourself and others. By doing so, you are safeguarding your community and ensuring that we can continue to offer you the university experience that you expect.
Here is a reminder of what we all need to do:
- Keep testing regularly – twice a week, every week. Home testing kits are available from collection points across campus and our University residences have kits available at reception. If you are in UPP accommodation, look out for the pink containers of test kits that we will be putting into key areas.
- Keep reporting your results – tell us when you receive a positive result using the self-reporting form so that we can support you.
- Continue to wear your face covering – we strongly advise you to keep wearing your face covering in all indoor spaces. This will help protect everyone including your teaching, research and student services staff.
- Make sure you isolate when you need to – details on what you need to do can be found on the website, alongside the support available to you during your isolation.
- Keep on cleaning and keep washing your hands. If you share accommodation, keep touch points clean. If you are in residences and need more cleaning products, let your accommodation team know.
- Keep the air circulating – let fresh air into your accommodation
Finally, a reminder that vaccinations are available to all students and we continue to hold regular clinics on our campuses for anyone that needs a 1st, 2nd dose or a booster. Please keep checking our vaccination website for the latest dates and locations.
Thank you for everything you continue to do to keep yourselves and others safe. Please continue to look after your wellbeing and if you or anyone you know needs support, please check our wellbeing website for the range of services available to you.
All the best,
Registrar and Secretary