Frequently asked questions

Please click on an FAQ below to reveal the answer.  If you can't find the answer you are looking for please contact the Accommodation team on 0300 555 0444 or email us at

Coronavirus updates

Please see our designated Coronavirus website for all up to date FAQs if you are living in University accommodation. If you are living in the City with a private landlord or large provider, please look under the 'Accommodation' heading on our Coronavirus webpage.

All students

Rooms and facilities

Your nine digit university ID number is provided by the University when you firmly accept your offer of an academic place. The number should begin with a six or seven. It is referred to on letters from Admissions as an 'Exeter Reference Number'

For new students, this is a different number from your UCAS number. For enrolled students, this is the number shown on your University card.

Room numbers are subject to change until your arrival with us. You can find out your room number when you have completed the University's online registration process in early September and arrived with us.

In some residences room sizes vary considerably. A guide is given on the individual residences pages. Please also see our virtual tours.

The majority of standard student study bedrooms have washbasins. All en-suite rooms have a washbasin. For more information please browse the residences' web pages.

There are a number of shops in the city centre whereby you can order items online for collection. These include:

  • Argos
  • Debenhams
  • John Lewis
  • Marks and Spencer
  • Wilkinson

You can find out about which other retailers are available by viewing the Visit Exeter website.

If you are allocated University owned or managed accommodation you will receive an email asking you to login to your accommodation account to review the offer made to you online. Our online services enable you to access and accept the accommodation contract anywhere in the world.

All rooms have either data points or a wireless internet connection. You can arrange provision of a telephone for your room with Glide Student. Please register using the links below:

In most cases it isn't necessary to bring a TV with you as there are internet connections in every study bedroom giving access to IPTV via your laptop or computer. Not all of our student bedrooms have aerial sockets - check on your residence's webpage for more information.

IPTV is available via your computer. For more information on IPTV visit the Glide website and choose the 'TV package' option. IPTV is available via your computer.

You may bring a television for your communal area if you have one, but you will need to purchase a TV licence. Please see the TV Licensing site for more details. Please note that if you intend to watch live television on your computer you will need a TV licence.

You are now required to be covered by a TV Licence in order to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. Find out more on the TV Licensing website.

Pets are not permitted in University accommodation.

Your personal belongings in your locked rooms are insured and insurance cover is provided in all University owned/managed and approved accommodation by Endsleigh Insurance. Once you have received an offer of accommodation, we advise you to check your policy details and level of insurance cover through Endsleigh and‌ to find out if you need to extend the cover for valuable items such as laptops, cameras, musical instruments and mobile phones.

It is important to find out exactly what you are covered for as you may find that the contents cover is not sufficient and you need to extend it to protect all of your possessions both in and outside of your room. For further information please the details provide on our Residents information page.

The University has a Sustainable Travel Plan and actively seeks to encourage green travel. In line with this, there is no parking available on either the Streatham or St Luke's campuses (including Rowancroft) for resident students.

Guests of students living in University residences may enter halls, however, they must be accompanied by a member of the residence. There must not be more than four visitors/guests in the accommodation at any time.

Any student wishing to have overnight guests must seek permission in writing, giving 72 hours’ notice, from the Residence Management Team via, who will take into account fire and safety implications and, in shared rooms, the interests of your roommate. Visitors may not stay overnight for more than three consecutive nights. The Residence Management Team will withdraw permission for guests to remain if their behaviour is deemed antisocial or unacceptable in any way.

Please note that overnight guests need to be over 18. Permission will not be given for overnight guest’s over Arrivals Weekend and during Fresher’s week.
Students should note the conditions in section 2.6 of the licence agreement. Residents wishing to have a guest should provide the following information:

  • Student name and student ID number
  • Residence - building, block, flat number and room number
  • Arrival date
  • Departure date
  • Confirmation that the guest is over 18

In all residences there is a possibility of moving to a different room after the first two weeks of the academic year, although please be aware that there is an administration charge of £55.00 for the 2018/19 academic year. Furthermore, due to the large number of room move requests a priority system is in operation. Priority is given to students with medical or welfare issues in the first instance. You are advised to speak to the Accommodation Office about a room move and the Residence Life Teams for any welfare support and advice after arrival. See our dedicated Room Moves page for further information.

If you are with one of our city centre, larger providers, then there is a possibility that you could swap with a student in another residence providing there are no special circumstances, e.g. an all female flat.

To submit a request to move residence, please log an enquiry online with the Student Information Desk (via the Ask SID tab in iExeter).

There are small supermarket located in the centre of the Streatham Campus known as the Market Place, as well as other smaller outlets selling essential items in other locations on campus for example at Cornwall House and Birks Grange Village. Exeter city centre is a short walk from either campus where you can find a larger supermarkets such as Tesco, Sainsburys, Marks & Spencer and Iceland.

You may stay in your room for the full period stated on your accommodation agreement.

If you have a catered 32 week contract you do not pay for accommodation over Christmas and Easter vacations and may not reside in them for these periods.

If you require accommodation over the vacation periods please contact the Accommodation Office as we may be able to accommodate you in self catered accommodation. For information on what is available over the summer please visit vacations pages. Alternatively, visit our visitor pages or our private sector pages if you require temporary accommodation.

If you have a self catered 40, 42, 44 or 51 week contract you may stay in your room for the full period stated on your accommodation agreement. Summer vacation accommodation may be available on application. Alternatively, if your accommodation agreement length has expired, please make enquiries at the Accommodation Office for possible vacancies.

If you live in catered student accommodation you can leave your belongings in your room over the Christmas vacation, but will have to move your belongings out in the Easter holidays.

If you live in a self catered residence your contract runs right through these two holiday periods.

Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide storage facilities at the University however, there are a number of storage facilities in and around Exeter:


For more information, please contact your residence reception who will be able to assist you.

Disclaimer: this information is for reference only; these companies are in no way affiliated to the University. The University cannot be held responsible for the quality of service they provide.

The Accommodation Office can give you information about accommodation in the private sector. View our 'visitor accommodation' webpage for information about staying in local bed and breakfast accommodation or hotels. Please see our section on private accommodation for more information on shared houses, purpose-built accommodation and lodgings in the city.

The Student Accommodation Code was introduced in 2006 by Universities UK and GuildHE. It protects your right to safe, good quality accommodation, wherever you study and outlines everything you can expect from your accommodation as well as your responsibilities as a tenant.


This will depend on the contract agreement that you have entered into and you do need to make sure you understand the cancellation and termination policy before you sign the contract.

Remember that applying for accommodation is different from securing accommodation and it is important to understand when you have entered into a legally bound contract.

If you are allocated to University of Exeter accommodation in Exeter, our Accommodation Term & Conditions Section 6 explains the termination of the contract. If you decide not to register for your academic course next year, we will release you from your contract and we would recommend that you contact as soon as you make your decision so we process your request. If you do register for your course then you will be committed to the contract that we have with you.

If you are INTO accommodation at University of Exeter, please check with INTO team for their cancellation policy. 

For student studying in Cornwall, please check details within the accommodation Terms and Conditions.

If you secure accommodation in the private sector in either Exeter or Cornwall, each accommodation agreement will vary and you should clarify with the provider of the accommodation what will happen BEFORE you agree to the accommodation contract

If you are allocated to University of Exeter accommodation in Exeter and you do decide to defer your academic place until next academic year, we will release you from your contract without charge. You will need however, need to apply again for next academic year and we will allocate you accommodation in early Summer before you are due to arrive. Applications for the new academic year usually open from mid-April. 

If you are INTO accommodation at University of Exeter, please check with INTO team for their cancellation policy. 

For student studying in Cornwall, please check details within the accommodation Terms and Conditions.

If you secure accommodation in the private sector in either Exeter or Cornwall, each accommodation agreement will vary and you should clarify with the provider of the accommodation what will happen BEFORE you agree to the accommodation contract

The University's academic year for 2020-21 is due to start with Freshers' Week from Monday 14 September 2020. We are issuing contracts relating to University accommodation from Arrivals Weekend over the period Friday 11 to Sunday 13 September and students will be asked to agree to contracts from that date.

If the situation with regards to Coronavirus means that the University academic year dates are adjusted or that term 1 teaching is offered online, we will keep the room secured for you but you would not be liable for rent payments until a date which will be advertised in advance. If you agree to the contract you will be liable for the rent from the new date that the accommodation is made available to you.

Please note that this only relates to accommodation where the contract is issued by the University, and if you secure accommodation directly with another provider or landlord you should confirm their cancellation and/or refund policy if you do not come to Exeter in person for all or part of the year.

Fees and payment

Please contact the Accounts Receivable Team for advice via

It is also recommended that you contact Guild Advice at who are able to offer impartial and confidential assistance on a whole range of issues, including housing, finance, and academic related matters.

Our How to Pay webpage gives information about when to pay your accommodation fees

The University accepts various methods of payment as detailed on the Student Finance webpages.

The majority of students are exempt from paying council tax, but there are a few exceptions. Registry provide a comprehensive guide and are happy to offer advice and assistance.

Essential repairs and improvements

A large amount of the planned works are scheduled to take place over the summer period; however there is a requirement for us to continue the works in certain blocks during the term time period until 2021.

During the application process you will be asked to indicate your additional preferences for accommodation. We will take these into account when allocating accommodation but please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfil any of these additional accommodation preferences.  

It is your decision as to whether or not to accept the offer made to you.  If you reject an offer of accommodation we may not be able to make you another offer unless there are special circumstances which we were unaware of at the time of allocation.

Yes.  The planned works do not affect the operation of the accommodation, which remain safe and habitable for student occupation.

As outlined the duration and type of the works taking place on each block will differ.  Whilst every effort will be made to adhere to the timescales shown above, these may be amended throughout the year due to circumstances outside of our control.  You would be notified if there is a change in schedule to your block.

Due to the nature of the project noise should be expected; however, works will be restricted to 09:00-18:00 Monday to Friday.  Further information will be provided on arrival, and weekly updates will be available with the latest information and the times when more noise is likely.  Study spaces are available across the Streatham Campus and we would encourage students to make use of these during the times of possible disruption.

Net curtains will be provided in all rooms which will still allow visibility out of your window but will reduce visibility in.  The scaffolding will be visible.

The net curtains should provide protection against people seeing in through your window.

For the external works there will not be a requirement for any contractor to enter your room.  However, access for normal checking, testing and maintenance is required and is carried out using our normal safety and notification systems.

For the shower room flooring, access will be required but only during the period in which you will be required to vacate your room and remove your belongings.


Contact us

The Accommodation Office can be contacted between 9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday.

All enquiries should be directed to the Student Information Desk either online or in the Student Services Centre in the Forum.

UK Tel: 0300 555 0444
International Tel: +44 1392 72 4724

If you are a registered student or applicant please quote your University of Exeter student number (ID number). This number is nine digits long and starts with a five or six.

If we have not answered your question here please contact us.