We know that it is important to have a place to go to meet up with friends or to study outside of the comfort of your own room so within our residences there are several communal areas which you can use.
Birks Grange Village
If you live at or near Birks Grange Village you can access these social spaces. They are a great alternative to your room particularly if you live in a self-contained studio.
- TV room next to the dining room in Central Block, which is small but perfectly suitable for a social gathering to watch a movie or a sports game
- Multi-purpose social space by the reception in Central Block, which can be used for a group study, yoga class or a movie night (projector is available)
- Snooker table next to the Reception
- A social dining room 'The Grange' in Ross House (H Block), which offers a cosy, modern social space with well-furnished kitchen - perfect to host a dinner party or a social gathering with some snacks. See our YouTube video about The Grange to find out what it looks like and how students are using the space. (The Grange is primarily dedicated for students living in studios, please contact the Reception in advance if you wish to use it)
- There is also an outdoor ping pong table (outside of Ross House) and many benches scattered around the Birks Grange Village so that you can enjoy the outdoor space during warmer weather
If you live at Holland Hall or in the self-catered accommodation associated with this residence you can use the social space with TV located next to the Reception area at Holland Hall which is available to all residents.
- For residents of Mardon Hall there is a TV/ common room and a study area in Mardon
- There are also two outdoor tennis courts free to use for all self-catered and catered residents
If you are a resident of Lopes Hall, Pennsylvania Court, Ransom Pickard or live in the self-catered accommodation nearby you can make use of:
- Social area/lounge near the dining room in Lopes. It is equipped with a TV and comfortable soft seating
- Library, which offers quiet space for independent and group study
- There are also two outdoor tennis courts free to use for all residents as well as benches and a lot of green space which you can enjoy during warmer weather
All catered residences provide dining rooms, which are a great meet-up place during meal times.
Rowancroft and St. Luke's
If you study or are a frequent visitor at St Luke’s campus there are a number of suitable communal spaces.
- Library located on the campus with three dedicated floors for all of your study needs with well-equipped computer suites located on the ground floor with an additional quiet study suite on the 2nd floor
- Modern group and quiet study booths at the Giraffe House
- The newly refurbished Cross Keys building provides a vibrant place to study, meet, eat and drink.
For more details about using any of the communal spaces please contact your residence Reception.
All social spaces can be used to hold club and societies’ events.
If you wish to use any of the above spaces for a specific event please contact the Residence Manager or submit your request via the online event form