Moving rooms

If you are a current student at the University of Exeter and living in university accommodation but wish to move to another room or a different residence then it may be possible. Please see some useful information below:

Common reasons why students may wish to move rooms include:

  • Allocated to a twin shared room within catered accommodation but wish to move to a single room
  • To change their catering level e.g. self-catered to catered accommodation
  • Not getting along with flatmates e.g. they are too noisy*
  • Financial
  • Change standard of accommodation e.g. an en-suite room to a studio
  • A medical requirement*
  • To move closer to friends or campus

*If students are not getting along with their flatmates they will need to seek advice from the Residence Life Team. If the student has a medical requirement they will need to seek support from Wellbeing/AccessAbility.

Please see below for further information on the support services available at the University of Exeter.

Student Information Desk (SID)

SID is the first port of call for all student related enquiries. It is available online, via the telephone and in person (at both the Streatham and St Lukes Campus). Please see their website for further information on opening times and availability.

The Accommodation Office hold drop-in sessions within The Forum at the Streatham Campus during term time. This provides you with the opportunity to seek advice and support from a member of the Accommodation Team about your housing situation. Drop-in times do vary so please visit the Accommodation Blog for an update on their availability.


If students have a medical condition or a learning difficulty which requires extra support within their accommodation then they can contact AccessAbility to discuss their requirements.

  • Telephone: 01392 723880
  • Email:

Opening times: 9.00am - 4.30pm Monday - Friday (Closed on Bank Holidays and University closure days)


The University of Exeter Wellbeing Services team, made up of counsellors and mental health practitioners, are all highly skilled and experienced. They are able to offer advice, therapeutic and practical support to help students cope personally and to manage their studies.

Residence Life Team

The Residence Life Team are available for students living within university accommodation and are there for students to speak with them confidentially about whatever is on their mind. If students are experiencing noise issues at their residence or maybe they are not getting along with their flatmates then they are there to offer advice and support. A Residence Life Team Mentor will visit one evening a week to answer questions, help with any problems, and keep students up-to-date with what’s going on in the University and city.

Overnight, members of the Residence Life Night Patrol support the Estate Patrol team by visiting residences. If students have a problem late at night within their residence then they can contact Estate Patrol who will arrange for a member of the team to help.

Please visit the Residence Life Team website for further information and to see which team are available within each residence.

Students' Guild Advice Unit

The Students' Guild Advice Unit provides free, independent and confidential advice and information on a range of issues affecting students, including: housing, money and academic related matters.

The Advice Unit is based on Level +1 of the Forum adjacent to Devonshire House on the Streatham Campus and on Friday's during term time the 'St Luke's Advice Surgery' is available within College House on the St Lukes Campus. Please visit the Students' Guild Advice Unit for information on times and availability.

Estate Patrol

Estate Patrol are the uniformed staff which students will see around campus and driving our security vehicles. They are available to provide advice and assistance, 24 hours a day 365 days a year and are based in Northcote House on the Streatham Campus. Estate Patrol monitor fire and intruder alarms, the University’s extensive CCTV system and provide a rapid response when required. If students experience any disruptive or threatening behaviour at their residence or out of hours noise (both internal and external) then Estate Patrol are able to help.

In order to register a request to move, we require that students log an enquiry in following way:

  • In order to register your request to move, we require that you log an enquiry in following way:
  • You will need to log in to SID with your IT username and password. You can then log an enquiry via SID Online, using the Accommodation: Changing room or residence FAQ pages.
  • After clicking 'Log an enquiry' from these pages you should see a form to complete with a series of drop down menus.
  • Please complete and submit the enquiry, and we will respond to you as soon as possible regarding availability of rooms.

Once a request to move has been submitted, students will receive a confirmation email from a member of the Accommodation Office and their details will be held on our waiting list.

Please be advised that room moves are dealt with in accordance with availability and priority and therefore, we may not be able to assist immediately with a student's request.

For the 2017/18 academic year there is a £50.00 movement charge each time a student moves rooms. For the 2018/19 academic year the charge will be £55.00.