Do you know how we give back to the community?
The University is very proud of its engagement in local community initiatives, working to make Exeter a more sustainable, considerate city.
Local charity benefits from University and Students' Guild partnership
The Catering and Retail Team at the University have worked in partnership with the Students' Guild to support a local charity, by raising funds through sales of single-use carrier bags.
From November 2018, customers buying a carrier bag in the Market Place Forum were given a token to vote for one of three local charities, nominated by the Students' Guild. The charity which received the most votes was Pete's Dragons, who received a donation of £1,443 in July 2019.
- Pete's Dragons is based in Exeter and was founded by University Alumni Alison Jordan. The charity helping people living through the suicide of a loved one, working together towards making sure that all those bereaved by suicide in Devon and Cornwall have access to timely and appropriate support.
The carrier bag donation scheme is due to continue in the new academic year to support other local causes.
Other Catering and Retail Team community initiatives
- Collection tins are in place in the Market Place shops to support Hospiscare and the RNLI
- Pin badges are on sale in the Market Place shops and from the Reception at Reed Hall to support the RSPB
- Market Place staff undertake their own charitable adventures, with staff having participated in treks and walks for The British Heart Foundation, Children in Need, Sports Relief and Comic Relief.
- Our Retail Catering team have signed up to the Sugar Smart Exeter campaign, raising awareness about sugar in foods and acting to provide healthier alternatives.
- As part of the Plastic Free Exeter pledge, the work with KeepCup in recent years has revolutionised coffee drinking on campus. There are further plans to introduce full recycling bins to campus to allow responsible disposal of every part of a disposable cup, as well as the eradication of plastic straws and drinks stirrers. Find out more about the sustainable initiatives of the University Catering and Retail Team.