Do you know how we give back to the community?
The University is very proud of its engagement in local community initiatives, working to make Exeter a more sustainable, considerate city.
University and Students' Guild partnership
The Catering and Retail team at the University are working in partnership with the Students' Guild to support 3 important charities.
Customers who buy a carrier bag in the Market Place Forum will be given a token to vote for one of the selected charities. A donation will be made to the charity that receives the highest number of votes.
The charities, chosen in collaboration with the Students' Guild, are:
- Pete's Dragons - Helping people living through the suicide of a loved one.
- YMCA Exeter - Supporting young people facing difficult times.
- BEAT - Online support services for people suffering with any eating disorder.
Since the initiative began in November 2018, it has raised over £1440 for the charities.
Other Retail Catering team community initiatives
- Collection tins are in place in the Market Place shops to support Hospiscare and the RNLI
- Pin badges are on sale in the Market Place shops and from the Reception at Reed Hall to support the RSPB
- Market Place staff undertake their own charitable adventures, with staff having participated in treks and walks for The British Heart Foundation, Children in Need, Sports Relief and Comic Relief.
- Our Retail Catering team have signed up to the Sugar Smart Exeter campaign, raising awareness about sugar in foods and acting to provide healthier alternatives.
- As part of the Plastic Free Exeter pledge, the work with KeepCup in recent years has revolutionised coffee drinking on campus. There are further plans to introduce full recycling bins to campus to allow responsible disposal of every part of a disposable cup, as well as the eradication of plastic straws and drinks stirrers.