Waste and recycling

Before disposing of items, please consider whether the item may be reused by another department. Please visit WARPit for further information.

The FM Team have increased recycling within offices by removing office bins and replacing with centralised recycling bin sets, these include ‘Plastics’, ‘Cans’ and ‘non Recycling’, the communal kitchen bins have also been used more to dispose of any food waste or food waste packaging that may have contaminated any other waste stream. To date, the FM Team have worked with colleagues and the Colleges to remove nearly 300 office bins so far.

All new buildings and renovations will be subject to centralised recycling to assist in increased recycling and efficiencies in waste removal.

How to dispose of your waste

You can find out how to dispose of your waste by using the A-Z guide on the Sustainability site.. These disposal procedures have been prepared to ensure that the University complies with all relevant waste legislation,  that materials are disposed of in a cost effective manner and in the most environmentally sound way (in accordance with the waste hierarchy).   If your waste stream is not listed, or you are unsure about what to do, please contact Campus Services Help Desk.

Single cardboard boxes can be squashed down by staff creating the waste and left by the internal recycling bins for the FM Cleaning Team to remove.

Multiple cardboard boxes or larger quantities of cardboard must be taken to the external cardboard bins found outside of the building by the staff member/office creating the waste.

Large quantities of cardboard waste created by staff/office moves/clear outs must be removed via Disposal Form on Campus Services Help Desk, this will then be planned and carried out by the Portering Team.

Self service cardboard bins that have been located by office staff themselves must be emptied by the said office staff and not left for the FM Cleaning Team.

To ensure that we comply with relevant waste legislation and ensure we divert waste from landfill, a new contract has been established for skip hire on campus.  This does not apply to contractors who organise skips on behalf of the University.

University staff should only order skips from Leeses Skip Hire Ltd.  Full duty of care checks have been carried to ensure that the company has the necessary environmental permits and licences to remove our waste.   By using the service, you can also be assured that all materials are recycled whenever possible.  

How do I order a skip?

Any college or service requiring a skip should contact Leeses directly by phone on  01392 826456 or by email sales@leesesltd.co.uk.  You will need to provide the details of the type and size of container you require. These are classified by type and volume: skips are 4.6, 6.1, 9.2, and 12.2 cu.metres. You must provide an accurate and detailed description of the waste you intend to put in the skip and your purchase order number. Without all of these your request cannot be processed.

What are my legal responsibilities relating to skip hire?

As the person organising the skip, you will have responsibility for ensuring that the skip is managed in accordance with relevant legislation, including the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005, Waste Electronic and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006, Waste Regulations 2011 and Environmental Protection Act 1990 (s34 Duty of Care).  Briefing notes are available in the environmental compliance section of the sustainability website. 

You must ensure the following requirements are met:

Reuse Reuse options must be considered before disposing of waste in the skip e.g. furniture.
Waste types The following waste types must not be disposed of in the skip:
  • Electrical Items. These should be disposed of by contacting the Campus Services Helpdesk.
  • Hazardous Wastes.  These include plasterboard, asbestos, batteries, tyres, gas cylinders, pressurised containers, paints, chemicals or fluorescent tubes.  Please note this is not an exhaustive list.  Please consult the A-Z Waste Guide or contact the Environment and Sustainability Adviser if you are unsure.
  • Liquids (of any description).
The mixing of non-hazardous and hazardous waste is banned under the Landfill Regulations 2002. If hazardous waste is found in a general waste skip, the whole contents are classified as hazardous waste and you will be charged appropriately for the higher costs of disposal.
On site management The skip must not be used by contractors (unless they have arranged their own skip) or members of the public. 

Please report any instances of this to the Environment and Sustainability Adviser.

Legal documentation You will need to complete and sign a Waste Transfer Note on removal of the skip.  This is a legal document that the University is required to keep for two years.  Please ensure a copy is sent to Anthony Partridge (Old Library).

What else should be considered?

  • Skips should be on campus for the shortest time feasible.
  • Skips should be lockable (and kept locked when not in use) wherever possible.
  • Any skips containing combustible materials should be placed at least 8m from any building or building overhang. If this is not feasible and they have to be placed less than 8m, then the skip should have a lockable lid that must be locked at the end of each day. All skips should be covered and locked when not in use and the person managing the skip is responsible for ensuring it is locked.
  • Skips must not be overfilled.
  • Waste must not be left outside a skip.

Where can I find further information?

The contract for laboratory waste and hazardous waste for the Streatham and St Luke's Campus is with Labwaste.

There are important legal requirements relating to the disposal of hazardous waste that the University must comply with. Through this contract we have put in place mechanisms to ensure that our disposal processes meet these requirements. It is therefore important that staff do not use alternative services without prior discussion with the contract manager.

Key contacts

The key contact for the University for any questions, queries or comments is Graham Moncur (contracts) G.Moncur@exeter.ac.uk extension 5448 or email facilitiesmanagement@exeter.ac.uk

Please ONLY contact Labwaste to submit your collection request at sales@labwaste.co.uk as this will help us to monitor the quality of service we receive.

What materials can be disposed of via the contract?

AcceptedNot accepted
Aerosols Clinical waste
Batteries Electrical waste
First aid boxes  
Flammable chemicals Light bulbs / Light tubes
Gas cylinders Any non hazardous waste
Halogenated waste  
HPLC waste  
Lab chemicals & reagents  
Mercury waste/Thermometers  
Non halogenated waste  
Out of date chemicals  
Toxic chemicals  
Maintenance products  
Pyrophoric chemicals  
Tip boxed  

Can I dispose of 'Unknown' waste?

When disposing of chemical waste we must be able to accurately describe it i.e. what is the chemical name and what are the hazardous properties. If you have waste to dispose of which does not have any labelling or you are unsure of how to describe it (an “unknown” waste”), then please contact Graham Moncur x5448 or email facilitiesmanagement@exeter.ac.uk who will then contact Labwaste to characterise the waste – it must be agreed by the College managers who will be responsible for paying for this characterisation.

Please note – Labwaste are not able to remove any waste from our campuses that has not been characterised or described correctly. We encourage all those who generate waste to ensure it is clearly labelled during storage and use to avoid expensive disposal costs.

How to register to use the contract?

Any person/department wishing to use this service for the first time should contact:- Graham Moncur (Contracts) email: facilitiesmanagement@exeter.ac.uk   Internal Tel : x5448

How to use the service?

All requests must be submitted on a collection note and sent to sales@labwaste.co.uk , at least 48 hours prior to any collection.  Any requests after that will not be collected.

Disposing of laboratory equipment

Before disposing of any lab equipment a photograph should be sent to Labwaste giving details of the equipment as it may not have to be scrapped.

A = Geoffrey Pope/LSI


2019 Date of collectionAreaReminder dateDeadline
28th January  A  18th January  23rd January
11th February  B  1st February  6th February
25th February  A  15th February  20th February
11th March  B  1st March  6th March
25th March  A  15th March  20th March
8th April  B  29th March  3rd April
23rd April  A  12th April  17th April
7th May  B  26th April  1st May
20th May  A  10th May  15th May
3rd June  B  24th May  29th May
17th June  A  7th June  12th June
1st July  B  21st June  26th June
15th July  A  5th July  10th July
29th July  B  19th July  24th July
12th August  A  2nd August  7th August
27th August  B  16th August  21st August
9th September  A  30th August 4th September
23rd September  B 13th September 18th September
7th October  A 27th September 2nd October
21st October  B 11th October 16th October
4th November  A 25th October 30th October
18th November  B 8th November 13th November
2nd December  A 22nd November 27th November
16th December  B 6th December 11th December
13th January 2020  A 3rd January 8th January
27th January 2020  B 17th January 22nd January

Who pays for the collections?

Departments will be billed directly for the items that they have requested to be disposed of. You will need to provide Labwaste with a purchase order.

Consignment notes

All consignment notes must be completed in full and signed at the point the waste is consigned. Labwaste provide the University with copies of the consignments notes, which we hold centrally.

What are my legal responsibilities relating to the Labwaste contract?

As the person organising, generating, storing and consigning the waste, you will have responsibility for ensuring that the waste is managed in accordance with relevant legislation, including the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005 and Environmental Protection Act 1990 (s34 Duty of Care).  Briefing notes are available in the Environmental Compliance section of the Sustainability website.

What if I find hazardous waste that does not belong to me?

If you are unsure of the owner of the waste then please contact Graham Moncur G.Moncur@exeter.ac.uk or facilitiesmanagement@exeter.ac.uk or Tel: x5448 at the first instance, who will then review and allocate an owner where possible.

What should I do if I have missed a collection?

Please contact Graham Moncur G.Moncur@exeter.ac.uk or facilitiesmanagement@exeter.ac.uk or Tel: x5448 in the first instance.

How will we monitor performance and quality of service of Labwaste?

The Contract for Lab Waste will be monitored monthly by the Contracts Manager and this will incorporate KPI’s including Delivery, Quantities, Types of Waste, Quality of Service.

Is there a central store where I can move my waste to until the collection date?

There is no central store facility, please ensure waste to be removed is clearly labelled and stored correctly within your areas until the collection can be made.

Where do I send my collection note?

Please send your collection request to sales@labwaste.co.uk

Helpful links:

Paper (including newspapers, magazines and books) should be disposed of via Shred-It consoles, please see link to Console Map.

If you have a large quantity of paper waste that you wish to dispose of, please fill out a disposal form online to order Shred-It bags.