Ask An Alum
Ask An Alum is simple way to connect you with our University of Exeter alumni, to answer your careers questions, via a short email exchange.
- We have over 4500 alumni signed up to the Ask An Alum, undertaking a variety of job roles and from a huge range of organisations, sectors, and countries.
- You don't need to have a set career in mind, just a desire to gather more information and gain insight into careers you are considering.
- You can ask almost any sort of careers related question (examples below)
- You can apply as many times as you like!
- There is no long term commitment, objectives, training or preparation needed to participate in this scheme.
- Just fill out our quick and easy Ask An Alum Application Form (in term-time only) and you can be introduced to an alumni within a matter of days. Our only requirement is that you respond to the introduction as soon as possible and within 3 days.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of the roles they are undertaking, we are unable to put eXepert applicants in contact with alumni who work in Intelligence connected to National Security.
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
- Any graduates recruited through the Graduate Business Partnership (GBP) scheme.
Applications are open term-time only. To apply for the scheme please click here.
When applying, we advise that applicants try and provide as much detail as possible in the following areas:
- profession/job role
- company or organisation
- as alumnus that has studied your degree
- city or country
This will help us during our search to find a close alumni match and help you to get full benefit from the opportunity.
- We use the information in your application form to search our database for alumni who may be willing to help.
- We will contact two alumni on your behalf, and if they agree to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email alumni within three days of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for helping you.
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What are the good/bad aspects of profession?
- Would you like to share any difficult experiences at work and how did you resolve them?
- What are your proudest career achievements - how did the opportunities arise and how did you accomplish the tasks?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Can you recommend any potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, trainings, sector events) where I may make my own contacts for further careers advice?
The eXepert scheme is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask alumni for information to help you make informed career decisions.
eXepert is not an opportunity for you to ask alumni for any kind of "favour" for example a job, work experience, an internship, industry contacts, to attend a meeting or any kind of event, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.