eXepert Scheme (Careers Q&A)
The eXepert scheme is a fuss-free way to connect with University of Exeter alumni to ask careers questions. By filling in our quick and easy application form, you can be introduced to alumni working in your field of interest…whatever that may be at the time of applying!
The whole purpose of eXepert is that your interaction with alumni will be a fact-gathering exercise via a short email exchange. There is no long term commitment and you can apply to the scheme as many times as you like, meaning it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a definite idea of what path you want your career to take. We have alumni volunteers from a huge range of sectors, giving you lots of options to explore.
Running during term time only, eXepert is a careers-focused activity that can easily fit in around your studies and other term time commitments. Other than contacting the alumni you have been matched with in a timely fashion once you have been introduced, there are no objectives to meet and you don’t need to do any training or preparation to participate in the scheme. All you need to do is just fill in the application form with your requirements and we will do the rest!
NB: Due to the nature of the roles they are undertaking, we are unable to put eXepert applicants in contact with alumni who work in Intellegence connected to National Security.
- Current students (all levels of study, located both in the UK or on international placements)
- University of Exeter Alumni (up to three years after graduation, located anywhere in the world)
Applications are open term-time only. Please apply using this eXepert application form.
When applying, we advise that applicants try and provide as much detail as possible in the following areas:
- profession/job role
- company or organisation
- as alumnus that has studied your degree
- city or country
This will help us during our search to find a close alumni match and help you to get full benefit from the opportunity.
- We use the information in your application form to search our database for alumni who may be willing to help.
- We will contact two alumni on your behalf, and if they agree to help, we will put you in touch via email for you to ask your careers questions.
- It is then your responsibility to take the lead in communication – we expect applicants to email alumni within three days of being put in touch - to ask your career questions, respond to replies and to thank them for helping you.
Here are some suggestions of what you could ask alumni:
- How was your transition from university to work (e.g. what did you experience and what should I expect)?
- What was your first job, how did you feel when you started and what did you experience?
- Job hunting techniques (e.g. best sources to look for relevant vacancies).
- What are the sector entry requirements (e.g. qualifications, professional training courses, IT skills)?
- What are the good/bad aspects of profession?
- Would you like to share any difficult experiences at work and how did you resolve them?
- What are your proudest career achievements - how did the opportunities arise and how did you accomplish the tasks?
- What are the top 3 skills needed for someone to succeed in the industry?
- Can you recommend any potential networking opportunities (e.g. meetings, trainings, sector events) where I may make my own contacts for further careers advice?
The eXepert scheme is a way of gathering useful career and sector information directly from working professionals - an opportunity to ask alumni for information to help you make informed career decisions.
eXepert is not an opportunity for you to ask alumni for any kind of "favour" for example a job, work experience, an internship, industry contacts, to attend a meeting or any kind of event, or for funding an opportunity. Information about finding internships and jobs can be found elsewhere on our website.
NB: Due to the nature of the roles that they undertake, we are unable to put eXepert applicants in contact with alumni who work withing Intellegnce linked to National Security.