This sector is currently suffering from a skills shortage, and continues to develop at a fast pace. Jobs are available not only for computer science and engineering graduates but to all graduates who have an interest in technology. Conversion courses are available (many of them with funded places) for graduates of non related degrees but it is also possible to enter IT management roles without an IT based degree.
- Prospects - Explore Job Sectors
- techUK - represents the UK technology industry. Its website contains some useful reports and newsletters.
- HMGCC - software and electronic design engineers
- National newspapers carrying job adverts for this area include Independent (Mondays), Guardian, Daily Telegraph and The Times
- Warwick University National Guidance Research Forum - provides sector information including labour market reports, employment opportunities and information on further education and trainin
- Prospects Job Profiles - IT, Economics, Statistics & Management Services
- Graduate Project Management Guide - provided by www.technojobs.co.uk
Places where you can find job vacancies
- Handshake - our vacancy database with employers who are targeting University of Exeter students
- Computing - magazine with jobs section
- Cyber Security Jobs - vacancies in cyber security
- GCHQ - Government Communications HQ employing IT specialists
- Graduate Recruitment Bureau agency includes jobs in IT
- 1T-Jobs - IT jobs across the UK
- Pearson Frank - jobs in Java, Web, Mobile and PHP recruitment
- Nigel Frank International - jobs in Microsoft recruitment
- Prospects Job Vacancies - IT, Statistics, Economics and Management Services
- Work in Startups - startup job board
- Targetjobs - IT
- Digital, Data and Technology
- Unicorn Hunt - startup/tech focused job board
- Women in Tech - careers advice, case studies, jobs and employers hiring women
- Association of Computing Machinery
- The Chartered Institute for IT
- Institution of Analysts and Programmers (IAP)
- Institution of Engineering and Technology - includes job search facility
- Institute of Information Security Professionals
- Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA)
- Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC)
- The Society of Information Technology Management
Places for lists of employers or companies in this sector
Post Graduate Study and Professional Development
- Find a PhD.com - searchable database of PhD opportunities and post doc jobs throughout the UK in science, engineering, maths and social science.
- KTP Knowledge Transfer Partnerships - research and development vacancies in smaller companies in association with universities.
- Prospects: Professional development and training in IT
- Prospects: Search Postgraduate courses and research opportunities.