The University of Exeter, in the south west of the UK, is one of the top universities in the world. Our two locations in Exeter and Cornwall offer beautiful campuses in vibrant communities, and are ideal environments in which to study and live.
We received our Royal Charter in 1955, although our predecessor institutions, the Royal Albert Memorial College and the University College of the South West of England, were established in 1900 and 1922 respectively.
Here are just a few reasons to choose the University of Exeter:
- TEF Gold award for teaching excellence - Consistently delivering outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students
- Top 150 of universities worldwide - the Times Higher Education World University Ranking
- Top 15 university in UK - the Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 rates Exeter as the best university in the South West, and 12th in the UK.
- Graduate employability - 95% of graduates in employment or further study six months after graduation (DHLE Survey 2015/16)1
- Member of the prestigious Russell Group of research intensive universities
- Research excellence - 98% of our research is of international quality, with 82% rated world-leading or internationally excellent2
- Sporting success - 5th in the 2016-2017 British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) championship
- Student Satisfaction - 3rd in the Russell Group, achieving a mark of 87 per cent for Overall Satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2018.
- International reputation - winner at the What Uni? Student Choice awards 2015 & 2017
- A choice of perfect locations - choose from a vibrant city centre location (Exeter) or the lively coastal community of Penryn near Falmouth (Cornwall), both with stunning countryside on the doorstep and offering an abundance of outdoor activities.
- Wellbeing - our support staff are on hand to help you throughout your degree, including a Wellbeing centre, Personal Tutor, on-campus surgery and disability support
- Support for students - we provide additional help with finance and accommodation for groups including care leavers, mature and estranged students
- Beautiful campuses - the University of Exeter has won Green Flag Awards for its picturesque and eco-friendly campuses
What our students say:
"BY FAR THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS AND SUCH A BUZZ."
Lara from Barnet attended an all-girls secondary school and then a mixed sixth form in central London, where she grasped an understanding of how to succeed in education.
“Exeter was the last university I visited, and I immediately knew I liked it. It was by far the most beautiful campus I had seen, and I was just so impressed by how modern all the buildings were, namely the forum and business school. There was so much going on and such a buzz. I could just see myself in that environment, and wanted to be a part of the community.
Exeter is such a community because you end up knowing a lot of people, so I can’t walk onto campus without seeing someone I know, not just people in my year, but in years above as well. As it is a campus it means I am always here and after classes I will go to the library. The whole atmosphere and learning environment helps you get involved both academically and socially.”
Lara from Barnet studying BA Business and Management
"IT'S A PRIVILEGE TO BE TAUGHT BY LEADERS AND INNOVATORS."
Costa was born and raised in South London coming from a family of Greek Cypriot immigrants, living in one of the most diverse parts of the country.
“The course was key for me; I was very specific in my desire to study a Politics degree that focused on policy and statistics, which Exeter offered. This, the campus and the added value my degree programme offered made it a no-brainer for me. In the past two years, I have worked for my department through their Peer2Peer and summer school programmes and have now secured two internships through their connections – with the Civil Service and a Policy think tank.
“It's a huge privilege to be taught by leaders and innovators in their respective fields. My lectures and seminars are well-organised and well-taught, with the availability of extra contact time through weekly office hours giving an additional level of academic support.”
Costa from Croydon studying BSc Politics and International Relations
"AN EXCITING NEW CHAPTER OF MY LIFE"
Kuljot says as a student of colour from London, the prospect of studying at an institution like Exeter seemed daunting, yet she was ready to take on a challenge.
“Exeter invests in its students and their potential to go onto do greater things. With amazing services like the Careers Zone and numerous study abroad opportunities, I feel as though I’m spoilt for choice with the various activities I can get involved with. Your experience at Exeter is what you make of it and the opportunities you take and the University doesn’t fall short of providing ample guidance.
Personal tutors are very helpful and aid in shaping a bright future which starts with a degree. The university also provides a strong support network with services like Wellbeing available to those who need it. Starting out in a new city far away from home, seemed less like a daunting challenge and more like an exciting new chapter of my life.”
Kuljot from Ilford studying LLB Law
“THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE”
Liz had always wanted to go to university but had struggled with A-Levels. She was able to take alternative qualifications and study as a mature student.
“It was fantastic to be welcomed as a mature student with a university as prestigious as Exeter. The lifestyle and learning methods here perfectly suited me.
Choosing the University’s Penryn campus to study my Environmental Science degree was the best decision I have ever made. The enthusiasm of the lecturers here is infectious, you can't help but be inspired. The friendliness of all the students and staff here was a big deciding factor me, I instantly felt at home.
It wasn't only my degree programme, all the activities and opportunities which were available to me during my time at Penryn were invaluable. Take advantage of every chance you get. At the campus here, there is so much to do, it's just waiting for you to say yes to.”
Rated gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
Outstanding results in the Research Excellence Framework 20142
Top 150 of universities worldwide
95% of graduates in employment or further study six months after graduation1
A member of the prestigious Russell Group of research-intensive universities
Voted Top 10 in the
THE Student Experience Survey 2018