Many of our buildings will be closed over the Christmas period
Christmas closure 2019
It has been the practice since the opening of the Forum to ensure that as many Commercial, Residential and Campus Services staff as possible are able to participate in, and enjoy, the closure period. The Forum is the only building on campus which is open 24/7 for 365 days of the year and provides a safe and secure environment for students, who for various reasons, remain on campus during the closure period.
This means that the only building to be serviced by Commercial, Residential and Campus Services staff, who have volunteered to work during the closure period, will be the Forum.
In previous years there have been limited numbers of staff and students using other buildings on site and to ensure that we can lower our carbon footprint, comply with insurance and Health & Safety regulations the following arrangements have been made.
Student residencies Christmas closure messages will be sent out directly to students with their own specific information.
- The Forum and Forum Library - will remain open during the closure period in line with their normal 24 hour opening standard, and will be serviced by a team of volunteer cleaners and porters. The Forum night porters will work their normal shift pattern throughout the closure period (19:30 – 07:30 daily) providing security for the students.
- Seminar Rooms will be open for student use with access through the Forum Library only.
- All of the following other areas in the Forum complex will be locked from 20:00 on Monday 23 December 2019 and will reopen at 06:00 on Thursday 2 January 2020
- The Sanctuary
- Devonshire House
- Career Zone
- Doors from Devonshire House to the Forum
- Forum toilets except those near the SID desk
- Study venues - all venues across campus will be locked down:
- The Business School
- Giraffe House St. Luke’s Campus
- Baring Court
- Haighton Building
- Hope Hall
- All HUBS
- All study/computer rooms across both campuses.
- St. Luke’s Campus will remain closed during the 10 day period. This has had a minimal effect during previous years. There will be no FM staff working on site during this time and all students will be directed to the Forum Library or online services.
- Building Access across Streatham & St. Luke’s –
- Undergraduates will have no access to buildings other than The Forum
- Associates will have no access to the university during the closure period.
- Post Graduates and Staff will be able to access areas of work using the normal entry procedures.
- Heating - During the closure period Tuesday 24 December 2019 to Thursday 2 January 2020 the heating in academic related buildings will be run in energy saving mode with an ambient temperature of 12 degrees. The full list of buildings and temperatures can be found on the Winter Heating Schedule and will be published on the University website.
- Estate Patrol It should be noted that Estate Patrol cannot accept calls from Directors of Buildings for maintenance to turn heating up in buildings during the closure period.
- Minibus Service – this service will be suspended during the closure period
- Sports Park Streatham will operate according to the normal trading hours until 22nd December and then change to the opening times below.
|Monday 23 December||08:45-18:00|
|Tuesday 24 - Thursday 26 December||Closed|
|Friday 27 - Monday 30 December||08:45-18:00|
|Tuesday 31 December||Closed|
|Wednesday 1 January 2020||Closed|
|Thursday 2 January||Normal hours|
- Sports Centre St Luke's - operating times are listed below:
|Saturday 14 - Friday 20 December||weekdays 06:30-20:00 weekends 09:00-15:00|
|Saturday 21 - Tuesday 31 December||Closed|
|Wednesday 1 January 2020||Closed|
|Thursday 2 - Friday 3 January||06:30-20:00|
|Saturday 4 - Sunday 5 January||09:00-18:00|
|Monday 6 January||Normal hours|
- Royal Mail - The final campus wide collection before Christmas will be at 3.30pm on Monday 23rd December. External mail will leave the campus the same afternoon but internal mail won’t be delivered until the normal mail service resumes on Thursday 2 January 2020.
- Food Outlets – all outlets across campus will be closed (Information can be found on the web pages). Costa Coffee will remain open to service the Forum area, aside from the 25th, 26th December and 1st January 2020. Trading hours are advertised in store.
- Northcott Theatre – will be open for extended periods over the closure period with food and drink available. Further details can be found on the website
Date: 6 December 2019