Chief College Operations Officer
Service Level Description
The College Operations Directorate provides strategic leadership to academic teams and is a unified service of administrative and technical staff providing direct support to academic colleagues across colleges, institutes, disciplines and research groups. This includes:
- Directors of College Operations as members of their College Executive Groups who help shape college strategies and ensure their delivery.
- Senior College Operations Officer - Cornwall whose primary role is to ensure effective partnership working across locally based professional services staff, links with key external partners in the community and partnership working with FX Plus.
- Staff who provide direct personal administrative support to academic colleagues and ensure the smooth working of academic leadership teams
- Professional staff within Institutes including the LSI manager and administrative staff within ESI.
- Technical services staff who provide direct support to both students and academic colleagues in relation to teaching and research activities
Key deliverables for 2018/19
- Define College Ops as a Directorate with a mission statement and KPIs
- Create a model for sharing best practice
- To support the delivery of College/ institute / strategies ensuring that professional services resources are aligned and to shape up robust plans for future years
- To mainstream the student experience tracker to support the delivery of an excellent student experience
- To support the work of the programme development team and admissions team to ensure an attractive global portfolio is in place to attract high quality students
- To support the delivery of the refreshed Cornwall Strategy
- To support the second tranche of recruitment within the Living Systems Institute and to embed successfully new academic colleagues
- To see through benefits of the Academic Administrative Support review and to strengthen networks and spread good practice across our general academic support administration workforce
- To embed working within new data protection legislation within academic units
- To work collaboratively on a business continuity plan across colleges to ensure the continuation of business critical activities
- Leadership of Business Planning, core strategy development, horizon scanning, good governance, resource prioritisation and alignment, income generation, partnership and relationship management and operational management of professional services support
- Administrative support delivered through a network of academic support administrators providing, for example, support for servicing departmental committees, meeting and greeting external visitors, supporting internal communications, diary and travel management
- Technical support services - providing an appropriate and flexible staffing resource to support excellent teaching and research in the laboratory, field, workshop, studio and clinical settings. ( see separate SLD for technical services )
- Academic colleagues in leadership roles
- College Executive Groups,
- Institute Leadership teams, Dean of Cornwall Campus, and academic colleagues in leadership roles
- Academic and research staff, PhD, masters and UG students
What we strive for
The Directorate supports the aims of the single Professional Services strategy as follows:
To provide exemplary strategic leadership to academic teams and to ensure delivery of administrative and technical services to support our academic endeavour based on local delivery.
To seamlessly work across the single professional service to ensure effective prioritisation, focus and resilient support to meet academic department needs aligned to college and University strategies
Work in partnership, with other professional services, academic colleagues, students and external stakeholders to co-create and agree our core strategies and ensure effective service delivery.
- Key measures of success:
Robust Business plans aligned to core strategies (education, research, external relations, industry and international), excellent alignment of professional services resource delivering to academic priorities, effective risk management through the reduction of highly scored risks and a robust single business continuity plan, improved academic staff satisfaction with general administrative support, improved compliance with mandatory training and information security evidenced through strong GDPR compliance in academic units, sharing of best practice.
|Name||Position||Extension||Email address||Contact for?|
|Clare Wydell||Director of College Operations, HUMS||2167||H.L.Rundle@exeter.ac.uk||Academic colleagues in the College of Humanities|
|Matt Davey||Director of College Operations, UEBS||3203||M.L.Davey@exeter.ac.uk||Academic colleagues in the Business School|
|Tom Begbie||Director of College Operations, SISSfirstname.lastname@example.org||Academic colleagues in the College of Social Sciences and International Studies|
|Cathy Durston||Director of College Operations, CEMPS||3954||C.Durston@exeter.ac.uk||Academic colleagues in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physics|
|Neal Whitfield||Director of College Operations, CLES||5130||N.J.W.Whitfield@exeter.ac.uk||Academic colleagues in the College of Life and Environmental Sciences|
|Rachel Burn||Director of College Operations, CMH||5824||R.L.Burn@exeter.ac.uk||Academic colleagues in the Medical School|
|Amie Fulton||Director of College Operations, Cornwall||01326 371807||R.Grimmer@exeter.ac.uk||Academic and PS staff with Cornwall locally based queries|
|TBC||Institute Manager - LSI||5335||Academic and research colleagues relating to LSI|