Progress Monitoring

The University requires us to have a procedure for monitoring your progress, to identify any problems, to suggest solutions and to make decisions about your registration. Please note carefully the following points:

  • Monitoring is compulsory for all research students. Any student who does not follow the College procedure may find their registration terminated.
  • You will only be allowed to proceed in your degree and to continue your registration if you receive satisfactory reports on your progress.
  • Progress monitoring provides an opportunity for you to reflect on your own progress and to raise any problems that you feel may be affecting your work.

 University policy on monitoring states that the purposes of monitoring are:

  • to assess student progress in order to give feedback to the student and to assist in making formal decisions about registration.
  • to monitor the nature and frequency of research supervision and other facilities offered to postgraduate research students.
  • to assist the University in ensuring parity of provision and treatment for students across the University.
  • to identify problems either in a student's programme of study or in the student-supervisor relationship.
  • to identify weak students who may be asked to de-register. 

In accordance with the Unsatisfactory Student Progress and Engagement procedure, it is required that all students are to be in attendance during academic terms, to attend all key contact points, to submit work when required and to fulfil the academic requirements of their programme of study as stipulated by the College. Unsatisfactory progress is usually identified when a student has not met these requirements, and in addition for International Tier 4 students where the monitoring of attendance is concerned in line with current Home Office guidance, as mentioned in the Student Attendance section of this handbook.

There are four stages for dealing with unsatisfactory progress, as detailed in our TQA Chapter 15 - Unsatisfactory Student Progress and Engagement.

At all stages Colleges should direct students towards Student Support Services to address any problems that you may have that has contributed towards the concerns of your performance or attendance.

You may also contact the Guild or FXU, for advice should you wish to discuss your warning with someone outside of the College.