Dr Maria Eugenia (Maru) Correa-Cano
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Environment and Sustainability Institute Desk 10, First Floor, open pla
Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter, Penryn Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9FE, UK
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 17:00
Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 17:00
I am a biologist and ecologist whose research has addressed how anthropogenic activities alter macroecological patterns of plants, including past human activities, and artificial light at night. I am deeply concern of the consequences that our activities as society cause to the environment and its biodiversity and I search for understanding and propose solutions to environmental impacts, particularly those caused by plastic pollution with focus on agricultural and fisheries activities. I am also interested on the development of large databases that integrate ecological data and gives further insight to ecological processes.
- 2018 Teacher of English as a Second Language. Trinity College
- 2016 PhD in Biological Sciences (University of Exeter)
- 2006 M.Sc. in Biological Sciences (UNAM, Mexico)
- 2002 B.Sc. in Biology (UNAM, Mexico)
2019-Present. Postdoctoral Research Associate, ESI, University of Exeter.
2019. Consultant. IUCN. Global Species Programme. Safeguarding Mesoamerican crop wild species.
2018. Consultant. SaveStars, Consulting S.L. Account of species (vertebrates) and spaces. (Protected Areas) with risk of nocturnal light pollution for a localized area 34km east of Madrid.
2017. Consultant. CONABIO, Mexico. Developing a Plant trait database for Mexican species
2011. English courses. Immersion for studying abroad.
2009-2010. Pronatura Mexico. Coordinator for the conservation of endangered species for the central and western Mexico
2007-2009 Pronatura Mexico. Coordinator of the national reforestation program.
2006-2007 Pronatura Mexico. Spatial analysis of agrobiodiversity for the ecoregional planning in central and western Mexico.
- Plastic pollution
- Life Cycle Analysis and materials flow analysis
- Light pollution
- Ecological processes and anthropogenic disturbance
- Biodiversity conservation, use and management
I am currently working within two projects:
- Exeter Multidisciplinary Plastics Research hub: ExeMPLaR
- NEXus Thinking for sustainable AGricultural development in Andean countries (NEXT-AG).