Health and safety
Estate Services provides specialist health and safety support on all aspects of work on the University estate to staff and contractors. Key areas of support include:
- Procurement - particularly aspects of CDM
- Constructability reviews during scheme development
- Contractor selection
- Performance monitoring of works and contractors – refer to the contractors code of practice.
- Administering of permits
- Accident/incident monitoring and reporting, and carrying out investigations
- Campus audits and investigations
- Cascading of construction health and safety information to staff and contractors as appropriate by means of Construction Safety Bulletins
Gas safety - the University of Exeter operate and manage an independent gas network. The gas safety case and any major gas works come under the management of Estate Services with a specialist consultant appointed as the Gas Safety Engineer.
High voltage system - the University of Exeter operates an independent high voltage power network. A consultant is appointed as authorising engineer with a number of staff within Estate Services appointed as authorised persons (electrical). A strict permit and lock out system is operated and managed for works on the high voltage network.
Safety manual - staff within Estate Services operate under the University health and safety policy and procedures.