Year 10 Residential
We have now taken the decision to cancel the Exeter Scholars Year 10 Residential that was due to take place from Monday 6th to Thursday 9th April 2020. We have taken this decision with the aim of safeguarding the health and welfare of our participants, visitors, students and staff. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but your safety is our top priority. You can find more information about the University’s response to Covid-19 here: www.exeter.ac.uk/coronavirus/prospectivestudents/.
It is our aim to produce a virtual visit experience to replace the residential; these virtual activities, which will provide you with an insight into what it is like to be a university student via academic taster sessions and general advice and guidance, are likely to take place in the next academic year when you are in year 11. However, this is not something that we can confirm or act on at this stage. In the meantime, we will continue to keep in touch with you using the regular Exeter Scholars programme updates. These programme updates will let you know what the next engagement point is for you and advise you of any next steps.
Information about the Year 10 Residential
The year 10 residential is on Monday 6th — Thursday 9th April 2020 at the University of Exeter's Streatham campus in Exeter.
We will be hosting approximately 160 students from schools across the country. Attendees will stay in Holland Hall, which is en-suite accommodation on Streatham campus.
All transport and meals will be arranged and provided, and all individual needs and special requirements are supported.
Students will be supervised by University of Exeter staff and Student Ambassadors.
The residential will feature a combination of subject taster activities and advice and guidance workshops. Attendees will have the opportunity to take part in a range of social activities, both on and off campus, and students will have the chance to explore the city of Exeter!
What To Bring on a Residential
- Comfortable clothes for attending lectures, and whatever leisure wear you like.
- Clothing and footwear suitable for taking part in sports activities.
- OPTIONAL: Swimwear and towel for swimming in the University pool.
- Trainers / comfortable walking shoes and some sun cream – you will be expected to do some walking.
- Waterproof clothing and an umbrella in case it rains. It may be necessary to be outside to move from location to location even in wet weather!
- A warm jumper / fleece – it can get cold in the evenings.
- All meals are included, but you may wish to bring some money to pay for snacks, cans of drink, etc. in the evenings.
- There will NOT be the opportunity to go shopping in Exeter.
- You should NOT bring large sums of money with you as there will be no facilities to store money securely.
- There are free cash machines on the Streatham campus; you will not be allowed to leave the campus to use different cash machines.
Bedding, towels, and toiletries
- All bedding and towels will be provided, so it is not necessary to bring any with you.
- Bring essential toiletries such as toothpaste, shampoo, and soap.
Electronic equipment and valuables
- You are advised NOT to bring anything of great monetary or personal value with you, as we cannot be held responsible for the loss or theft of these items.
- Mobile phones are allowed, but should not be left on during subject activity sessions.
- You are very welcome to bring a camera with you to record your time at the residential.
- You will be provided with necessary materials to complete your studies, including pens, pencils, paper, etc.
- You may have access to computers (including the internet) and can use these for your studies.