Pathways to Law
Pathways to Law is an innovative and exciting programme which provides fantastic opportunities for sixth form students who are interested in Law. This unique programme is funded and supported by The Sutton Trust and offered at 13 UK partner universities, including the University of Exeter. We are excited to be able to offer places on Pathways to Law as a strand of Exeter Scholars – but please note that, as Pathways is also part of a national programme, some of the activities and aspects of the programme will be a little bit different from other subject activity strands.
9 x full-day events, to take place between December 2018 and December 2019.
|Session 1||Wednesday||11th December 2019||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Introduction to The English Legal System & Sources of Law|
|Session 2||Saturday||18th January 2020||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Client Interviewing & Networking|
|Session 3||Wednesday||12th February 2020||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Pre-Placement Day|
|February half term||Work Placements|
|Session 4||Tuesday / Wednesday||
3rd / 4th March 2020
|10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Visit to Exeter Legal Institutions|
11th March 2020
|12:00–16:00***||University of Bristol||University of Bristol Big Lecture|
|Easter holiday||Work Placements|
|Session 5||Wednesday||24th June 2020||10:15–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Future Choices: Choosing a University, Personal Statements, & Introduction to LNAT|
|Monday–Thursday||20th–23rd July 2020||University of Warwick||National Conference (Residential)*|
|Summer holiday||Work Placements|
|Session 6||TBC||September 2020||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Academic Sessions|
|Session 7||TBC||October 2020||12:00–16:00||Penryn campus, Cornwall||
|Session 8||TBC||November 2020||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Academic Law Sessions & Law Fair|
|Session 9||TBC||December 2020||10:00–15:30||Streatham campus, Exeter||Academic Sessions|
Visit to Inner Temple, London**
Please note: Time does not include travel
|Thursday||25th March 2021||17:00–19:00||Streatham campus, Exeter||Pathways to Law Graduation*|
* Not a core event.
** Not a core event but strongly recommended for those wishing to pursue a career as a barrister.
*** Time listed does not include travel time.
Sessions will take place on a variety of days during term-time, and some sessions will be on Saturdays.
As well as the university sessions, Pathways to Law students will complete a law-related work experience placement lasting 3–5 days during the school holidays. This usually takes place in February half-term, but may take place during Easter or summer holidays. The exact dates will be confirmed as far in advance as possible.
Students will be allocated their own undergraduate law student as an online e-mentor, and are strongly encouraged to actively engage in this unique opportunity to have 1:1 support available throughout the programme.
Mainly Streatham Campus, plus one academic session in Penryn, a visit to the Courts in Exeter, and the opportunity to attend a residential at the University of Warwick. Other optional trips may be made available during the programme.
Transport will be provided for events which take place outside of Exeter, with the exception of work experience placements.
Subject Activity Strand Content
The Pathways to Law programme is made up of a number of activities, some of which are common to all Pathways to Law universities:
- Academic sessions at the University of Exeter
- Client Interviewing & Networking – an opportunity to hone your networking skills and practice client scenarios with legal professionals
- Expert advice on developing your CV plus advice and guidance on applying to university and your UCAS application
- Visits to local legal institutions such as Exeter Combined Courts and the Magistrates Courts
- Work experience at a law firm, law courts, barristers chambers or in-house legal team
- National Conference – this residential conference brings together Pathways to Law students from across the country to take part in a wide-ranging programme of academic and social activities
- Inner Temple – an opportunity to visit the Inner Temple in London- perfect for budding barristers!
- E-mentoring – you will be assigned an undergraduate law student as a mentor who will provide help and support throughout your time as a Pathways to Law student via a secure online portal
- Graduation ceremony – a perfect way to celebrate your achievements at the end of the programme
This subject activity strand has contributions from the following degree programmes:
- LLB Law
- LLB Law with European Study
- LLB English Law and French Law
- LLB Law with Business
- BBL Bachelor of Business & Laws
There are no specific entry requirements for this subject activity strand.
To successfully complete Pathways to Law, you must attend 6 of the 9 core sessions, and successfully complete a work placement in a legal setting for 3–5 days.