Skip to main content

Tier 4 visa - Money

We know that international students will be worried by the Covid-19 situation and what it means for their immigration status and their studies in the UK.

Attend a live webinar for the latest visa advice and how to prepare a Tier 4 visa application. Register HERE.

Key updates (22 September):

Read the latest information on travellng to the UK (England) and self-isolating.

BRP Collection if you have chosen to send your BRP card to the University, we will contact you as soon as it arrives with instructions on how to collect it.  Please do not come to campus as building are not yet open.

Visa Application Centres are re-opening with reduced services, check VFS or TLS Contact for information specific to your country or UKVCAS for UK information. 

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) increases from £300 to £470 per year from 1 October 2020.

Tier 4 Pilot Scheme closes 04 October 2020.  Masters students starting in October 2020 must submit their visa application on or before this date to qualify.

05 October 2020 new Immigration Rules take affect.  'Tier 4' becomes 'Student' visa.

The new Hong Kong BN(O) visa route opens January 2021.

The Graduate Route, the UK's new 2 year working visa, opens summer 2021.

Useful links: 

Remote study for students based in mainland China: request access to Alibaba Cloud.

The University’s information for students returning to campus.

Self-isolation activities programme The University have put together several activities during this 14-day period. Exeter Based Students and Cornwall Based Students.

Full Home Office concessions for students is outlined here: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Tier 4 sponsors, migrants and short-term students.

UKCISA regularly updates their advice for students here: Coronavirus (Covid-19): info for international students.

Contact us:

Finally, the trained immigration advisers in International Student Support are here to help with any questions or concerns you have during this difficult time. Please email us at and one of our advisers will respond as soon as possible.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) need to see that you have enough money to support yourself while studying in the UK.  This is in addition to the cost of applying for a Tier 4 visa. If you are applying with your family please see our section on Dependants.

Tier 4 Money Calculations

To work out how much money you need to show:

Your first year's tuition fees  as shown on your CAS
Your living expenses £1,015 per month for the length of your course (up to a maximum of 9 months). If your course lasts 9 months or longer you will need £9,135
= The total amount of money you need to show

Deductions for Fees paid to the University

You may deduct some money from the total amount you need to show:

Tuition fees paid You can deduct any money you have already paid towards tuition fees from the total tuition fee amount, as long as the payment is shown on your CAS statement.
Accommodation fees paid If you make a payment for accommodation to the University of Exeter or INTO Exeter and this is stated on your CAS, you can deduct the amount paid from the total for living expenses but only up to a maximum of £1,265. For example if you have paid £5,000 and this is stated on your CAS, you can only deduct £1,265. You cannot deduct money you have paid for private accommodation.

Example 1: You are a new MSc Finance and Investment student. Your tuition fees are £15,500 for the whole 1 year programme. You have paid £2,000 tuition fee deposit.

You will need to show:

£15,500 - £2,000 = £13,500 for tuition fees
£9,135 (£1015 x 9 months - remember, 9 month maximum) for living expenses
TOTAL: £22,635

Example 2: You are a new INTO Pre-sessional student. Your course dates are 4 July - 9 September. You need to show living expenses for every month (or part month) of your course, so for visa purposes your course is 3 months long. Your course fees are £3,300 but you have paid them all. You have also paid £2,060 for accommodation.

You will need to show:

£3,300 - £3,300 = £0 to show for course fees (you have paid them!)
£3,045 (£1015 x 3 months) - £1,265 = £1,780
TOTAL: £1,780

Example 3: You are a PhD student who has already started your first year. Your tuition fees are £11,100 and you have paid £3,700 for the first term. You are living in a rented house off campus and have paid the landlord £6,000 for the whole year.

You will need to show:

£11,100 - £3,700 = £7,400
£9,135 (£1015 x 9 months, remember you cannot deduct private accommodation!)
TOTAL: £16,535

Evidence of money

How you show evidence of your money depends whether you pay your own expenses or you have an official financial sponsor.

Some students qualify for ‘differentiation arrangements’ which means that you do not need to submit evidence of money with your visa application. Check here to see if this applies to you.

You can show this money in a number of ways:

The money must be cash funds in a current account or savings account in your name or that of your parent. Joint accounts are acceptable. You must hold the money in the account for 28 days before you submit your Tier 4 application (see below). You can use your bank account during the 28 days but the balance must not fall below the required amount.

Your bank document must show the transactions and balance during the 28 day period. The date on your bank document may be up to 31 days before the date of application but the money must remain in your account until the date of application.

Date of application

  • For applications made inside the UK: the date of submit your online form
  • Applications made outside the UK: the date you pay the application fee (online or at a visa application centre)

Banned banks

There are some banks which do not meet UKVI requirements and therefore should not be used to support your visa application.  Full list available on UKVI website.

Bank statements 

Your bank statement must:

  • cover the whole 28 day period
  • be dated within no more than 31 days before the date of application.
  • include at least your name, account number, all transactions, and the logo of the bank
  • be original – you cannot use a print-out or copy unless it has been certified by the bank
  • be in English – you will need an official translation in addition to the original if it is not
  • If the currency is not in British Pounds (GBP), you should check the conversion of the final balance on the Oanda website on the date of application and write this on the bank statement

Print-outs and electronic bank statements:

If your statement has been printed at the bank or you have printed it yourself online, it must have the bank’s official stamp on every page in addition to all of the above requirements. We advise that there is not a gap of more than 3 days between the date of the last transaction and the date the statement is stamped.

Example Bank Statement

Parents’ bank account

If you use your parents’ bank statements, they must meet all of the above rules (you cannot submit payslips or proof of property instead, for example) and you must also include:

  • your birth certificate with an official translation if it is not in English
  • a letter from your parents (in English) confirming that the funds in their bank account will be used to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses

Example Parental Consent Letter

Bank letters

If your bank statement does not meet the above rules you can request a letter from the bank instead. A bank letter needs to:

  • include your name and account number
  • include the date of letter (no more than 1 month old)
  • include the bank’s name and logo
  • clearly state the amount of money in the account
  • confirm that the required amount has been there for at least 28 days

Example Bank Letter

Certificates of deposit

This is a document issued by a bank which confirm a deposit of money and needs to meet the following rules:

  • must have been issued within 31 days of the date of application
  • at least 28 days must have elapsed between the date of the deposit and
  • it must include the date of issue of the certificate

You are officially sponsored if your government, an international company, a University (including Exeter), or a scholarship provider pays for your studies.

Sponsor letter

The letter must be:

  • printed on official letterhead paper and include the name and contact details of the sponsor
  • stamped by the official sponsor and dated
  • describe the length of the sponsorship or give a clear description of the course/s covered and their duration
  • describe the amount of money provided or state that the sponsor will cover all the tuition fees and living costs for the programme specified

If you are fully sponsored by the University of Exeter with a studentship described on your CAS you will not need a letter

If your official sponsor pays for only part of your costs you must supplement the letter with a bank statement or letter. You cannot rely on the same money twice, so it must be clear that this money has been received from a source other than your sponsorship

Example Sponsorship Letter

Evidence of a student loan if provided by your national government, state or regional government, or by a government sponsored scheme.

Student Loan Letter

The loan letter must be:

  • dated no more than 6 months before the date of application
  • original and show your name, the name and logo of the financial institution, and the amount of money available as a loan

Other considerations

Certain groups of students may need to consider additional information:

Nationals of certain countries qualify for Tier 4 differentiation arrangements. If you qualify for differentiation arrangements, you do not need to submit evidence of money with your initial visa application. However, you must still meet the financial requirement at the point that you submit your visa application online (for example, you must have had the required money in the correct type of account for at least the past 28 days). UK Visas and Immigration can request that you submit full documents proving that you qualified on the date of application at any point during the application process.

If your original documents are not in English you will also need to provide a fully certified translation by a professional translator or translation company. 

Any translations you submit with your application must include the following: 

  • Confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document 
  • The date of the translation 
  • The full name and signature of the translator or an official from the translation company 
  • The contact details of the translator / translation company 
  • Translations for applications submitted in the UK must also include the translator’s credentials (translation qualification) 


Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS):

Compulsory, entitles you to access to National Health Service (NHS)

£300 per person, per year of visa to be granted.

Application fee:

Prices increase for premium applications to receive a quicker decision

Outside UK: £348

Inside UK: £494.20 (standard), £994.20 (priority), £1,294.20 (super priority)

Additional charges:

Biometrics appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre

Outside UK: country specific

Inside UK: the closest free appointments are available in Cardiff, Croydon and Birmingham.  For other locations there may be a charge of £60 - £135 depending on the location and time of appointment. 

» Application form

A guide to completing your Tier 4 application form.

» CAS & Qualifications

Describes how you meet the visa conditions using your unconditional offer and previous qualifications.

» Document list

A comprehensive final checklist for your Tier 4 visa application.