Immigration - Tier 4 Super Guide

Question 9: What finances do I need to show?

This is the most complicated part of the Tier 4 application process and the area where students make the most mistakes. So follow this carefully.


The Tier 4 finance rules

UK Visas & Immigration expect you to show the following:

Tuition fees: 1st year's fees (or total course fees if your course is less than 1 year)
Living expenses

£1,015 per month towards the Tier 4 visa’s maintenance requirement (living expenses). The Home Office is also removing the ‘established presence’  provision so all students will need to show £1015 per month for the duration of their course or 9 months, whichever is shorter. Dependants will need to show £680 per month up to a maximum of 9 months. 

Money paid

Tuition fees paid

You can deduct any money you have paid towards tuition fees (for example, a deposit) from the total tuition fee amount.

If you are extending your visa after you have started your course, you will probably have paid most of your fees and you can deduct everything you have paid. If your programme is many years long, however, like an undergraduate degree or PhD, please be aware that if you are applying at the end of one year or in the summer, you will need to show the next year's tuition fees.

Accommodation fees paid

You can also deduct a maximum of £1,265 of any money you have paid for University/INTO accommodation from the total living expenses money. There is not a separate accommodation amount that you need to show - the UK Visas & Immigration calculation of £1015 per month is intended to cover all accommodation and other living expenses. This is the case even if your accommodation is actually more than that amount. But you can only deduct accommodation fees paid from the total amount of living expenses if you are living in University/INTO accommodation. You cannot deduct money you have paid for private accommodation. If you have paid more than £1,265 towards your accommodation, you can still only deduct the first £1,265 that you have paid - you will still be required to show the remaining living expenses amount in your account.


If you have dependants in the UK with you, you will also need to show a minimum of £680 per month (up to the maximum of 9 months) for each dependant. You will therefore usually need to show £6,120 for each dependant. 


Don't worry - this can be confusing. Here are some examples to help you work it out. Make sure that you then read the next section about how to show this money which is extremely important - and the biggest reason that students are refused Tier 4 visas.

 Example 1: You are a new MSc Finance and Investment student. Your tuition fees are £15,500 for the whole 1 year programme. You have paid £2,000 tuition fee deposit. You will need to show: £15,500-£2000 = £13,500 for tuition fees
(£1015 x 9 months - remember, 9 month maximum) for living expenses
TOTAL: £22,635
Example 2: You are a new INTO Pre-sessional student. Your course dates are 4 July - 9 September. You need to show living expenses for every month of your course, even if you are only studying for a few days of that month, so for visa purposes your course is 3 months long. Your course fees are £3,300 but you have paid them all. You have also paid £2,060 for accommodation.  You will need to show: £3,300 - £3,300 = £0 to show for course fees (you have paid them!)
£3,045 (£1015 x 3 months) - £1,265 = £1,780
TOTAL: £1,780
Example 3: You are a PhD student who has already started your first year. Your tuition fees are £11,100 and you have paid £3,700 for the first term. You are living in a rented house off campus and have paid the landlord £6,000 for the whole year. You will need to show:
£11,100 - £3,700 = £7,400
£9,135 (£1015 x 9 months, remember you cannot deduct private accommodation!)
TOTAL: £16,535

Next: Question 10: How do I show the funds available to me?

Back to the main Immigration page